Facts and Figures
40.7%First-Year Fall 2020 Students of Color
7,242Total Student Enrollment (Fall 2020)
2,152Number of degrees awarded during 2019-20
First-Year Students, Fall 2020
- Applicants: 6,557
- Accepted: 5,688
- Enrolled: 996
- Men: 314
- Women: 682
- Students of Color: 40.7%
- Applicants: 817
- Accepted: 732
- Enrolled: 394
- Men: 137
- Women: 257
- Students of Color: 39.4%
- Total First-Year Students: 1,390
- Students of Color: 40.4%
Full-time and Part-Time, Fall 2020
Total Enrollment: 7,242
Students* hail from 37 states (excluding Massachusetts) and 48 countries (excluding USA)
(*students enrolled in credit courses)
(Academic Year 2018-19)
Post-Bachelors Certificates: 27
Post-Master's Certificates: 53
Total Degrees Awarded: 2,152
- As of fall 2020, 89 percent of Salem State’s 302 full-time faculty members held terminal degrees: 245 (81 percent) held doctorates and 23 (8 percent) held MFAs, or a similar terminal degree. Thirty faculty (10 percent) held Master's degrees.
- Among full-time faculty in 2019, 73 percent identified as white, non-Hispanic and 54 percent were female.
- In the past two decades, Salem State has had 20 Fulbright Scholars and four Fulbright Specialists; three of our students have also received this distinction.
Living alumni: 61,152 (as of June 2018)
Massachusetts residents: 50,503
Essex county residents: 26,447
Other U.S. residents: 12,426
Located just 15 miles north of Boston in the historic seacoast city of Salem, Massachusetts, Salem State has:
- Five campuses on 115 acres
- Six residence halls housing more than 2,500 students
- The Frederick E. Berry Library and Learning Commons is the center for educational exploration, historical preservation and student academic support.
- The Harold E. and Marilyn J. Gassett Fitness and Recreation Center is a state-of-the-art facility that provides educational, social and recreational experiences for the Salem State community.
- The Sophia Gordon Center for Creative and Performing Arts is home to Salem State’s nationally award-winning theatre program and other artistic endeavors
- Student Navigation Center is a one-stop shop for student "business" services such as student accounts, financial aid, admissions, registrar, transfer services, and the ClipperCard
- 65+ student groups and clubs
Salem State offers its students a chance to compete in intramural athletic clubs and in a variety of competitive intercollegiate conferences.
Salem State fields men's and women's teams in 15 sports; plus 10 intramural/club teams
Athletic teams compete in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference (ECAC) Division III, the Little East Conference (LEC), the Massachusetts State College Athletic Conference (MASCAC), the National Collegiate Athletic Conference (NCAA) Division III, and the New England College Athletic Conference (NECAC).
- Baseball (m)
- Basketball (m/w)
- Field Hockey (w)
- Golf (m)
- Ice Hockey (m/w)
- Lacrosse (m/w)
- Soccer (m/w)
- Softball (w)
- Tennis (m/w)
- Volleyball (w)
Audited financial statements for Salem State University are made public after the Board of Trustees have officially accepted them. Any questions should be directed to:
Mr. Russell Bethoney, Controller
Finance and Business
352 Lafayette Street
Salem, MA 01970-5353
For more than 160 years, Salem State University has been a vital part of the economic, intellectual and cultural vibrancy of Salem, the North Shore and all of Massachusetts. This economic impact study aims to quantify the significance of the activities of the university and the many contributions of Salem State’s students, alumni, faculty, and staff.
- During fiscal year (FY) 2014 Salem State University generated an economic impact of over $827 million in Massachusetts.
- The economic impact on the City of Salem was more than $100 million.
- The regional impact on Essex County reached over $443 million.
- Read the executive summary of the 2014 economic impact report. [PDF]
The full 2014 economic impact report is available for download. [PDF]
For more information, please contact the external affairs office at 978.542.7757.