Board of Trustees
In accordance with the laws of the Commonwealth and regulations enacted by the Massachusetts Board of Higher Education, the composition, duties and powers of the Salem State University Board of Trustees are articulated within the university's bylaws. The board is charged with the fiduciary management of the institution, including determination of fees, establishment of personnel management policy, staff services, and the general business of the institution. Among its responsibilities, the board elects the president with the approval of the Massachusetts Board of Higher Education, adopts an annual plan of financial operation, awards degrees in approved fields, and develops the mission statement for the university consistent with the mission of the Commonwealth's system of public higher education.
The board of trustees consists of 11 voting members. Ten members are appointed by the governor, at least two are alumni of the university and one of whom is elected thereto by the university alumni association. Elected alumni members shall be elected every five years. Members are appointed to serve for five year terms, but no member shall be appointed for more than two consecutive terms. Student members are elected by the student body and serve one year.
Regular meetings of the full board are held four times annually and are open to the public with the exception of executive sessions. Committees of the board convene prior to each open meeting and on an as-needed basis. The board currently has five standing committees: executive, academic affairs and student life, risk management and audit, finance and facilities, institutional advancement, marketing and communications. Meetings usually take place on the Salem State University campus.
Trustee Information for FY2017
Members of the Salem State University Board of Trustees are:
- Teresa J. Chisholm
- Mary DeSimone ’76
- Andrew Duperval, student trustee
- Elliot Katzman '78
- Rob Lutts
- Oscar F. Malcolm
- Paul Mattera, chair
- Kathleen Murphy '75
- Pamela C. Scott
- Jacob S. Segal
All regular meetings held in the Paul Petrowski Conference Room (room 210) of Marsh Hall, Central Campus unless otherwise noted.
Full Board of Trustees Meetings
(Board meetings start at 5 pm unless otherwise noted)
- June 8, 2016
- October 13, 2016 (will be preceded by the Risk Management Committee meeting)
- November 30, 2016 meeting as needed - TBD
- February 8, 2017 - Held in the Sullivan Room, Enterprise Center
- April 12 2017
- April 22, 2017 - Special Meeting
- May 24, 2017 - Special Meeting
- June 7, 2017
- Offsite Meeting: date to be determined
(Committee meetings start at 3 pm unless otherwise noted)
- September 28, 2016
- September 28, 2016 - Committee on President Review
- October 13, 2016 (Risk Management and Audit Committee only)
- January 25, 2017
- March 29, 2017
- May 24, 2017
- June 7, 2017 - Special Finance and Facilities Meeting
- Board of Trustees/Student Government Association Meeting: October 18, 2016, 4:30 pm
- BOT/Student Government Annual Meeting Forum: March 28, 2017 at 4:30 pm (in conjunction with SGA) MLK conference room, Ellison Center
- Presidential Search Committee Meeting, Thursday, January 26, 2017, 8 am, Petrowski Room (Marsh 210)
- Special meeting of the Financial and Facilities Committee, Wednesday, February 8, 2017, 3 pm, Sullivan Room, Enterprise Center
Public record requests should be sent to John Keenan, general counsel and vice president for administration, at email@example.com. John Keenan is also the designated records access officer (RAO) for Salem State University.