General Overview and Overseer Listing
In accordance with the laws of the Commonwealth and regulations enacted by the Massachusetts Board of Higher Education, the composition, duties and powers of the Salem State University Board of Trustees are articulated within the university's bylaws. The board is charged with the fiduciary management of the institution, including determination of fees, establishment of personnel management policy, staff services, and the general business of the institution. Among its responsibilities, the board elects the president with the approval of the Massachusetts Board of Higher Education, adopts an annual plan of financial operation, awards degrees in approved fields, and develops the mission statement for the university consistent with the mission of the Commonwealth's system of public higher education.
The board of trustees consists of 11 voting members. Ten members are appointed by the governor, at least two are alumni of the university and one of whom is elected thereto by the university alumni association. Elected alumni members shall be elected every five years. Members are appointed to serve for five year terms, but no member shall be appointed for more than two consecutive terms. Student members are elected by the student body and serve one year.
Regular meetings of the full board are held four times annually and are open to the public with the exception of executive sessions. Committees of the board convene prior to each open meeting and on an as-needed basis. The board currently has five standing committees: executive, academic affairs and student life, risk management and audit, finance and facilities, institutional advancement, marketing and communications. Meetings usually take place on the Salem State University campus.
- Jamie Zahlaway Belsito '96
- Cherié Butts, vice chair
- Teresa J. Chisholm
- Magnolia Contreras
- Mary DeSimone '76
- Elliot Katzman '78
- Rob Lutts, chair
- Paul Mattera
- Kathleen Murphy '75
- Ruthanne Russell '82
- Richeline “Richie” Cadet
Full Board of Trustees Meetings
(Board meetings start at 5 pm unless otherwise noted)
- Wednesday, October 14, 2020
- November 4, 2020
- Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 6:40 pm
- Thursday, February 18, 2021 at 6 pm (executive session)
- Wednesday, February 24, 2021
- Wednesday, April 14, 2021
Wednesday, June 9, 2021
SSU Trustee Community Open Forum Topics: If you'd like to suggest a question or topic for an upcoming full Board of Trustees meeting, please do so here.
(Committee meetings start at 3 pm unless otherwise noted)
- Wednesday, August 19, 2020
- Monday, September 21, 2020: Governance Committee
- Wednesday, September 23, 2020
- Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 4 pm - Audit Committee
- Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 4 pm - Finance and Facilities Committee
- Monday, November 23, 2020 at 4 pm - Presidential Review Committee
- Tuesday, November 24, 2020 at 4 pm - Presidential Review Committee
- Wednesday, January 27, 2021
- Monday, March 14, 2021 - Governance Committee postponed
- Monday, March 29, 2021 - Governance Committee
- Wednesday, March 24, 2021
- Monday, May 17, 2021 - Governance Committee
- Wednesday, June 2, 2021
Posting of Meeting Agendas
Except in cases of emergency, final agendas with anticipated discussion topics are posted 48 hours in advance of the meeting.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, these meetings are currently held virtually. Login information will be provided within the posted agendas.
Public record requests should be sent to Rita Colucci, general counsel, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Rita Colucci is also the designated records access officer (RAO) for Salem State University.