Skip to main content

Salem State is closely monitoring the coronavirus outbreak. Learn more about our response.


Undergraduate Programs in Education

Undergraduate/Graduate Combined 4+1 Programs

These are the only undergraduate public school teacher preparation options. If you want to work towards your teaching license as part of your undergraduate program, you need to select a 4+1 pathway. These joint programs require a separate, competitive, application process completed sophomore year. Students who finish the program graduate with a bachelor's degree (double major in education and content area for early childhood and elementary students; content major and education minor for specialist and secondary students), a master's degree in education, and an initial license in their chosen area.

Students interested in special education or ESL can earn a second license in these areas with six additional courses. Three will be taken the summer prior to senior year and three the summer prior to the graduate year. These courses are outside of the degree program and are not covered by the semester's tuition and fees. 

Early Childhood (Pre-K-2nd Grade) 
Elementary (Grades 1-6)
Middle/High School English
Middle/High School History
Middle/High School Math
Physical Education
Middle/High School Spanish

Undergraduate Only Programs

These are undergraduate programs that are for students interested in working with children outside the public schools.

Early Education and Care leads to careers working with children from birth to eight.

Community Education careers can involve working with children of any age, but most commonly involve school-age children.

The educational studies minor is for students majoring in any other content area who want a chance to explore the field of education without making the commitment of a full major. 

BS, Early Education and Care
BS, Educational Studies (Community Education)
Educational Studies minor



Higher Education in Student Affairs

The Master of Education in Higher Education in Student Affairs (HESA) at Salem State University is the only program of its kind offered at a public institution in the Boston metropolitan area. The program is designed for people who plan to pursue a career working in a college/university setting in the area of student affairs, a profession focused on promoting college student success and learning outside of the classroom. HESA graduates work in a variety of student affairs administrative areas, including admissions, financial aid, academic advising, multicultural affairs, residence life, student activities and more. 

M.Ed in Higher Education Student Affairs



Education Advanced

The advanced studies graduate degrees provide opportunities for professionals within the field to increase their knowledge and competencies in their chosen area without pursuing a teaching license. These programs are a good fit for teachers who hold an initial license, need a graduate degree, but are not interested in earning a second license. They are also a good choice for professionals working with children in these populations outside the public school system.

Advanced Studies in Early Childhood
Advanced Studies in Educational Leadership
Advanced Studies in Elementary Education
Advanced Studies in Special Education
Advanced Studies in Physical Education



Certificates of Advanced Graduate Study

Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study in Educational Leadership

Back to top