Please note: If you are a student or are speaking with a student having an urgent mental health concern access the 24/7 Lahey Psychiatric Crisis hotline at 1.866.523.1216. If you are not on the North Shore, they can direct you to your regional hotline. Find additional resources.
Faculty and staff can submit a report with Dr. Elisa Castillo, Assistant Dean of Students for Wellness and the Care and Concern team about a concern about a student's behavior or wellbeing.
For more resources on specifics mental health topics, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you need mental health support or wish to help a friend access mental health resources? Utilize these on-campus, local and national resources available for Salem State students and community members. The majority of these resources are free, confidential, and/or anonymous. Many also have online chat or text options available. For more information, contact email@example.com.
During Business Hours
If you have an urgent mental health situation during normal business hours, call or come to counseling services even if you do not have an appointment. Let us know that it is an urgent matter and we will see you as soon as possible. In an emergency, contact campus police at 978.542.6111.
After Business Hours On-Campus
For a mental health emergency that occurs at night or on a weekend, contact campus police at 978.542.6111 or your RA or resident director.
After Business Hours Off-Campus
For a mental health emergency that occurs at night or on a weekend, contact:
- 911 - your local police emergency service
- Your usual healthcare provider, e.g., your therapist, primary care doctor, clinic, or HMO
- Or proceed to the nearest hospital emergency room
Local 24-Hour Support Services and Resources
The following organizations in the community have trained, dedicated staff to help those who may be experiencing a mental health crisis, or who have been recent victims of sexual assault:
- Lahey Psychiatric Crisis Team/Salem 978.744.1585
- YWCA North Shore Rape Crisis Center 877.509.9922
- HAWC (Helping Abuse Working for Change) 800.547.1649
- Salem State University Police 978.542.6111
- State Without StigMA Massachusetts Department of Public Health Addictions Helpline 800.327.5050
National 24/7 Resources
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800.273.8255
- Crisis Text Line: 741-741
- Text HOME for general support
- Text STEVE for support designed for Students of Color
- Text ABOVE for drug and alcohol support