Most classes on North Campus will be held remotely through the end of the semester on December 12.
Mental Health Emergency
Mental Health Emergency Resources
If you have an urgent mental health situation during normal business hours, call or come to counseling services even if you do not have an appointment. Let us know that it is an urgent matter and we will see you as soon as possible.
Counseling and Health Services
8:30 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday
After Hours on Campus
For students having an urgent mental health concern or who need access to after-hours support, contact the confidential 24/7 SSU mental health support line at 978.542.8327. For a mental health emergency that occurs at night or on a weekend, contact campus police at 978.542.6111 or your RA or resident director.
After Hours Off Campus
For a mental health emergency that occurs at night or on a weekend, contact:
- 911 - your local police emergency service
- Your usual healthcare provider, e.g., your therapist, primary care doctor, clinic, or HMO
- Or proceed to the nearest hospital emergency room
Local 24-Hour Support Services and Resources
The following organizations in the community have trained, dedicated staff to help those who may be experiencing a mental health crisis, or who have been recent victims of sexual assault:
- 24/7 Lahey Psychiatric Crisis hotline: 866.523.1216. If you are not on the North Shore, they can direct you to your regional hotline.
- Lahey Psychiatric Crisis Team/Salem 978.744.1585
- YWCA North Shore Rape Crisis Center 877.509.9922
- HAWC (Helping Abuse Working for Change) 800.547.1649
- Salem State University Police 978.542.6111
- Find additional resources.
National 24/7 Resources
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800.273.8255
- Crisis Text Line: 741-741
- Text HOME for general support
- Text STEVE for support designed for Students of Color
- Text ABOVE for drug and alcohol support