Take the next steps to enroll.View our list of FAQs.
1. Submit Deposits
Submit your $250 non-refundable enrollment deposit and your $300 non-refundable housing deposit (if you are living on campus) online at navigator.salemstate.edu. All day and transfer students must pay enrollment deposit in order to register for orientation.
2. Apply for Financial Aid
- Create a Federal Student Aid ID at fsaid.ed.gov.
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.ed.gov. Salem State's school code is 002188.
- We will notify you via email once we receive your FAFSA and if you are missing any documents. You can also check your Navigator account for any "to do" items.
Watch this video from FAFSA about how to apply for aid.
3. Register for Orientation
All first-year and transfer students are required to attend an orientation program in August. At orientation, you will register for classes, meet new classmates, become familiar with campus, and begin your adventure as a new student
4. Pick your First Year Seminar
All incoming first year and transfer students (with less than 15 credits) are required to take a First Year Seminar. These are innovative, exciting, three-credit courses designed and taught by professors who are passionate about the topic they have chosen. You'll be able to choose your First Year Seminar at orientation if you haven't already.
5. Complete your writing self placement
7. Read the First Year Reading Experience book
Salem State’s First Year Reading Experience (FYRE) selection for the 2018-2019 academic year is The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. New students will receive a copy of the book at orientation and are required to read the book before the first day of classes.
On opening day (the day before classes begin in the fall), first-year students meet with faculty, librarians, administrators, staff, and upper-class students for small group conversations about the selected book. Many professors also incorporate the book and its themes into first year courses and events/speakers are planned throughout the entire academic year.
* please note that new transfer students are not required to participate in the FYRE
8. Log in to your SSU email
Once you have paid your enrollment deposit, you can access your SSU email. Access your Salem State email through Outlook in Office 365. Log in here and use the same username and password as your Navigator account.
Email is the official method of communication at Salem State, therefore you are expected to check your account regularly. You can, however, forward your Salem State email to another account.
9. Show Your Pride and Get Connected