Salem State is closely monitoring the coronavirus outbreak. Learn more about our response.
Apply: Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) English
Graduate Application Process
- Online graduate admissions application
- $50 non-refundable application fee
- Official transcript or transcript evaluation
- Three references. At least one reference must speak to your potential scholarship in English.
- English Proficiency, if applicable for international applicants
- Statement of purpose, addressing the following:
-your interest in teaching English at the secondary level (grades 8-12)
-your interest in studying English at the graduate level (ie, how you see yourself as a scholar of English)
- MAT English does not require the GRE/MAT
Additional Materials and Requirements
- A passing score on the Massachusetts Test for Educator Licensure (MTEL) communication and literacy portion and content test for English.
- Bachelor's degree in English. Applicants with a bachelor's degree in any discipline other than English should apply to our MA/MAT English program.
- Course in adolescent psychology (undergraduate or graduate).
- Course in foundations of secondary education (undergraduate or graduate).
Applications accepted on a rolling basis and reviewed once complete.