Skip to main content

Transfer Credits

Each year, Salem State welcomes more than 1,000 transfer students to our community from across Massachusetts, the country and abroad. Our transfer services staff works with the undergraduate admissions office to facilitate all transfer credit evaluations and related transfer credit functions for newly admitted and enrolled students.

Questions about how your courses will transfer?

Visit our transfer equivalency viewer. Current students must still obtain permission to take an outside course prior to enrolling at an outside institution.

Speak with transfer services if you are

  • A newly admitted transfer student who wishes to transfer courses into Salem State
  • A currently enrolled (matriculated) Salem State student who has taken or plans to take coursework at another institution

If you have not yet been admitted, then you should speak with undergraduate admissions.

Transfer credit process

Newly admitted transfer students

  • Be sure the admissions office has a transcript from each institution you attended prior to Salem State. If we do not have a transcript, then we cannot award transfer credit. International transcripts must have been evaluated by an evaluation agency such as CED or WES.
  • For students who have attended a post-secondary institution outside of the United States or its protectorates, please provide transfer services with course descriptions in English (officially translated, if necessary) of all completed coursework to be considered for transfer of credit. Course descriptions should be submitted to the Student Navigation Center with your name, student ID and name of the institution clearly indicated on each page of the course descriptions.
  • Log into Navigator to view your initial transfer credit evaluation. Your transfer credit evaluation is usually ready to view approximately one week after your acceptance date.
  • "No rule" next to a course indicates that the course has not been evaluated before and that transfer services is sending the course for review to the appropriate faculty member.
  • Neither Salem State University's School of Social Work or Criminal Justice program grant major course credit for life experience or previous work experience. 

Currently enrolled students who took or plan to take courses at another institution

  • Contact transfer services prior to enrolling at another institution to obtain approval for your courses.
  • When you complete the course, submit a transcript of the courses you took to the Student Navigation Center. Please note a minimum grade of C- will be required, however the grade is not calculated into your Salem State GPA.
  • Direct any questions to transfer services.

Contact Us

Back to top