Each year, Salem State welcomes more than 1,000 transfer students to our community from across Massachusetts, the country and abroad. Our transfer services staff works with the undergraduate admissions office to facilitate all transfer credit evaluations and related transfer credit functions for newly admitted and enrolled students.
Questions about how your courses will transfer?
Visit our transfer equivalency viewer. Current students must still obtain permission to take an outside course prior to enrolling at an outside institution.
Speak with transfer services if you are
- A newly admitted transfer student who wishes to transfer courses into Salem State
- A currently enrolled (matriculated) Salem State student who has taken or plans to take coursework at another institution
If you have not yet been admitted, then you should speak with undergraduate admissions.
Transfer credit process
Newly admitted transfer students
- Be sure the admissions office has a transcript from each institution you attended prior to Salem State. If we do not have a transcript, then we cannot award transfer credit.
- For students who have attended a postsecondary institution outside of the United States or its protectorates, please provide transfer services with course descriptions in English (officially translated, if necessary) of all completed coursework to be considered for transfer of credit. Course descriptions should be submitted to the Student Navigation Center with your name, student ID and name of the institution clearly indicated on each page of the course descriptions.
- Log on to navigator (using the instructions you received when you applied) to view your initial transfer credit evaluation. Your transfer credit evaluation is usually ready to view approximately three weeks after your acceptance date.
- "No rule" next to a course indicates that the course has not been evaluated before and that transfer services is sending the course for review to the appropriate faculty member.
Currently enrolled students who took or plan to take courses at another institution
- Contact transfer services prior to enrolling at another institution to obtain approval for your courses.
- When you complete the course, submit a transcript of the courses you took to the Student Navigation Center.
- Direct any questions to transfer services.