Skip to main content

Many of our graduate programs allow you to take up to nine credits (typically three courses) while you are completing the application process.

If you take advantage of this option, please note:

  • You should get advice from the program coordinator on appropriate courses.
  • You should complete the application process before the end of your third course, as only nine credits taken before enrollment/matriculation may be counted toward your program.
  • Taking courses prior to applying does not guarantee admission to a graduate program.
  • Federal financial aid is not available for courses taken prior to enrollment/matriculation in a program.

Programs with special rules about taking courses prior to admission

Program Rule Description
Direct Entry OT  All courses within the program require permission, so you must be enrolled/matriculated in the program first. 
Higher Education Student Affairs  Courses offered in specific sequence. Contact the program coordinator for permission. 
Master of Social Work  Two to three courses offered per academic year. Contact the Graduate Admissions Counselor, Stella Willis, for course availability. 

Steps to register for courses prior to admission

1. Contact the program coordinator for advice on appropriate courses. Providing unofficial transcripts may be helpful.

2. Once you select your courses, use this timing chart:

Timing Summer 2019 Fall 2019
Course offerings are posted online on Navigator. (Click 'Class Search' on the left.)  Currently posted   Currently posted
Course registration opens. (Go to Navigator, click 'New Non-Degree' and create your account and register.)   March 2019 April 8, 2019

3. Having registration issues? This may help.

Issue Who to Contact/What to Say Contact Information
Received your bachelor's degree from Salem State Student Navigation Center. Ask them to create a "graduate non-matriculated career" for you.  978.542.8000  
Have a graduate application on file but have not yet received an admissions decision  Student Navigation Center. Ask them to create a "graduate non-matriculated career" for you.  978.542.8000  
Have a graduate application on file, have been admitted, but have not yet enrolled or matriculated  Graduate Admissions. Email your intent to enroll, including your name, program, and ID. 
Course has prerequisite  Program coordinator to request electronic permission. Provide your seven-digit SSU ID. If you do not have one, create your ID on Navigator. (Click 'New Non-Degree' on left). Coordinators may request relevant documentation.   Program coordinator 
Back to top