Salem State University Police LGBTQ+ Liaison Program
LGBTQ+ Liaison Officer Glenn Young
The Salem State University Police Department actively seeks to understand our LGBTQ+ community’s needs to ensure fair and equitable representation for all community members. The LGBTQ+ Liaison Officer strengthens the relationship between the LGBTQ+ community and the SSU Police Department by fostering real relationships, creating new partnerships, and offering support through community involvement, departmental education, and the provision of fair and professional policing services to all SSU community members. By establishing an ongoing dialogue, the liaison hears directly from community members about concerns, works collaboratively with the community to identify solutions, and is educated about recommended safety measures and available resources. The LBGTQ+ Liaison also serves as an internal resource for UPD on issues of inclusiveness.
What are some functions of the LGBTQ+ Liaison Officer?
- Serves as a personal, single point of contact between the Salem State University Police Department and the LGBTQ+ community
- Assists, advises and consults with Police Department leadership and other officers on cases involving the LGBTQ+ community or LGBTQ+ issues
- Provides training for members of the department on LGBTQ+ topics
- Meets with and provides a forum for students, faculty, staff, and allies of the LGBTQ+ community, and presents information on relevant law enforcement issues
- Provides a forum for the LGBTQ+ community to express its concerns regarding crimes directed against the LGBTQ+ community
- Attends events in the LGBTQ+ community as a representative of the University Police Department
- Collaborates with students faculty, and staff to design and implement public safety projects and programs to establish a closer, more effective dialogue between the police and the LGBTQ+ community
- Identifies and attends training related to LGBTQ+ topics
- Facilitates an overall open relationship between the LGBTQ+ community and the Salem State University Police Department
University Police Officer Glenn Young currently serves as the LGBTQ+ Liaison Officer for the Salem State University Police Department. Officer Young joined the Salem State University Police Department in 2018 bringing 15 years of community policing experience with him. Officer Young is a Salem State University alum with deep roots in the community and a strong desire to be an ally to all of Salem State University’s community members. Officer Young hopes to be a resource and a voice of encouragement for others.
LGBTQ+-related organizations that are willing to provide a service, act as a resource, or are interested in having University Police Department LGBTQ+ Liaison attend their meeting or event should contact Officer Glenn Young at email@example.com