Skip to main content

Preparing for Your Move to Campus


  • Extra-long twin sheet sets
  • Blankets, quilts or comforters
  • Pillow and pillowcases
  • Mattress pad
  • Mattress cover


  • Bath towels and washcloths
  • Bathrobe
  • Shower caddy
  • Hygiene products
  • Personal grooming products
  • Flip Flops or Sandals for Shower


  • Clothing
  • Shoes
  • Hangers
  • Laundry basket
  • Storage tubs and organizers
  • Desk lamp with an Energy Star bulb
  • Alarm clock
  • Microwave (700 Watts or less)*
  • Refrigerator (no more than 700 Watts, 10 amps, or 4 cubic feet) unless you live in Viking Hall, as one is provided by the institution.
  • Coffee maker (automatic shut-off required)
  • Laptop
  • Surge protector
  • Television
  • Stereo and speakers
  • HDMI Cord
  • Notebooks and binders
  • Pens, pencils, highlighters
  • Scissors, tape, stapler
  • Calendar
  • Calculator
  • Backpack
  • Books
  • Medical supplies
  • First-aid kit
  • Prescription medication
  • Flu/cold over the counter medicines
  • Insurance card
  • Area rugs
  • Posters
  • Mirror
  • Framed photos
  • Batteries
  • Bike and lock
  • University paperwork
  • Insurance paperwork
  • Bank information
  • Cleaning supplies
  • Dish and laundry detergent
  • Disinfectant sprays
  • Broom, mop, bucket, vacuum
  • Tissues, and paper towels
  • Reusable water bottle
  • Fan
  • Air freshener
  • Air filtration system
  • Speakers for stereos should be of a reasonable size, and subwoofers and amplifiers are strongly discouraged. If a resident does use these items, s/he may be asked to lower the volume if it disturbs other residents or the noise level is inappropriate.
  • Tapestries and similar hangings are not allowed to cover a door, the majority of a wall above a bed, or hanging from the ceiling as this could present a fire/safety hazard.
  • Decals, metal signs
  • Duct tape and tacks (items that could potentially damage the walls)
  • Darts and dartboards
  • Live Christmas trees
  • Loft and platform beds
  • Bed raisers
  • TV wall mounts
  • Candles and incense
  • Space heaters
  • Weapons of any kind, items capable of producing projectiles, or any dangerous item (e.g knives, switchblades, etc.). 
  • Dangerous or caustic chemicals
  • Hookahs
  • Hoverboards
  • Extension Cords
  • Halogen/Octopus Lamps
  • Residents may possess upholstered furnishings that carry a label of California Test TB 117
  • Grills (charcoal or gas)
  • Air conditioners
  • Electrical appliances with exposed heating elements, including toasters, toaster ovens, coffeemakers, hot plates, deep fryers, soldering irons, and hot pots without on/off switches (Allowed in apartments)
  • Pets (with the exception of fish and those permitted under the American Disabilities Act/service animals) in no bigger than a 10-gallon tank.
  • Microwaves (over 700 watts)
  • Refrigerators (over 700 watts, 10 amps or 4 cubic feet)
  • In Viking Hall, students are not permitted to bring refrigerators as there is one provided by Salem State University.
  • Water coolers
  • Drugs/Paraphernalia (narcotics/ recreational or/and medical marijuana)
  • Marijuana storage
  • Alcohol containers (decorative or otherwise) or paraphernalia (for example bottles, cans, funnels, leg taps, and so on.)



Residence Life Policies

Back to top