Information about Microfridges at Salem State
Interested in renting or purchasing a refrigerator, freezer or microwave? How about all three? Look no further than a MicroFridge. Available to rent or purchase including convenient on campus delivery.
Information about Care Packages
For years, Salem State University has been offering the care package program to every student. We know the perfect time to send each package through the semester, just when your student really needs a boost. Help us reach our goal of making sure every student gets a care package this year. We have a great selection of options that will send your message and make your student smile. Despite the miles, you can help remind then just how much you care.
Residence Hall Linens Information
Salem State University has been offering the Residence Hall Linens program since 1993. Students at Salem State University require specially-sized sheets, mattress pads and comforters to fit campus mattresses. These beds, which are longer than 76 inches, are intended to maximize student comfort.
When you reserve your college bedding through this program, you ensure the right size linens for move-in. The selection is larger than you will find anywhere else, at prices that are budget-friendly. Best of all, every product available through this program is guaranteed to fit and guaranteed to last from move-in all the way to graduation. Extra-long sheets, extra-long mattress pads, extra-long comforters, pillows, décor, and storage solutions and all other products are backed by this guarantee.
Items to Bring and Leave at Home
- Mattress pad
- Shower caddy and flip-flops
- Sheets (extra long)
- Desk/study lamp (non-halogen)
- A room telephone (students have free local phone service and free voicemail from their room phones, and can receive calls on the room number
- Surge protector/power strip
- Items made of SOFT plastic (drawers, laundry basket, waste basket, etc.) which has a slight give
- Iron or Coffeemaker with automatic shut-off
- Refrigerator (no more than 4 cubic feet OR a micro fridge)
- Aquarium tank (maximum 10 gallons) and fish
- Laptop insulator
**Per facilities, students in Bowditch Hall, Peabody Hall or Marsh Hall who wish to have a microwave in their room (non-microfridge) must obtain an "amperage overload switch".
The items listed below are prohibited in all Salem State University residence halls.
- Candles of any kind, including decorative
- Hot plates
- Televisions larger than 40"
- Multi-prong non-circuit breaker plug extenders
- Air conditioners
- Water coolers
- Halogen Lamps/lights with halogen bulbs
- Octopus lights (multiple light bulbs) with plastic shades
- Space heaters
- Toasters/toaster ovens in Peabody/Bowditch/Marsh (only allowed in apartments)
- Microwaves (no more than 700 watts and 10 amps)**
- Extension cords
- Extra furniture (no futons, couches, bean bag or inflatable chairs, lofts, bookshelves, etc.)
- Shelves, concrete blocks and bricks, trunk
- Items made of HARD plastic (milk crates, furniture, drawer units, bookshelves, etc.) that does not have a slight give to it (i.e. flexes slightly)
- Air conditioners
- Pets (only fish are allowed in the residence halls)
- Live Christmas trees, menorahs with candles, Kwanzaa candles, and similar decorations that could be fire hazards (students should speak with their resident director to find appropriate spaces to celebrate their traditions)
Residence Life Policies
- Speakers for stereos should be of a reasonable size, and subwoofers and amplifiers are strongly discouraged. If a resident does use these items, s/he may be asked to lower the volume if it disturbs other residents or the noise level is inappropriate.
- Tapestries and similar hangings are not allowed to cover a door, the majority of a wall above a bed, or hanging from the ceiling as this could present a fire/safety hazard.
- The university is not responsible for any damage or theft of your personal belongings, for any reason. Be sure you protect your valuables with your family's homeowners insurance or by purchasing renter's insurance. The university provides information and recommends a theft and fire insurance company.
In addition to these items, please be review the full listing of Residence Life's policies.