Salem State is closely monitoring the coronavirus outbreak. Learn more about our response.
Center for Economic Development and Sustainability
Since its inception, CEDS has completed many projects, been invited to a plethora of meetings throughout the north shore, consulted by reporters as well as leaders in the business community, and has expanded the number of faculty assisting in the Center. CEDS places students in internships and has hired students for mapping and data collection work. A research assistant works with CEDS during the academic year in the coordination of projects, the compilation of background research and the collection of data to support the projects.
The goals of the regional research center are realized via:
- Relevant educational programs
- Research: Regional and local research is conducted on a variety of scales and for multiple purposes. The center can support efforts and house data critical for research in many areas. This may take many forms, including community-based projects, those that advance civic engagement, grants-awarded research for faculty and graduate students, other funded research, and unfunded academic research.
- Resources: The center provides a much-needed regional resource and base whereby information, data and research can be found and utilized in a variety of ways. Useful databases for the region include those pertaining to the census, employment, industry, economic development, demographic, socio-cultural, and historic resources, among others.
- GIS-driven data, including analyses, spatial representation and cartographic visualization
- Faculty research and publications
- Grants office interface
- Career and internship opportunities
Lorri Krebs, PhD with consulting and research focus on econometrics, economic development and tourism initiatives.
Bill Hamilton, PhD with focus on advanced analytics, GIS, modeling and workshop development.
Elizabeth Duclos-Orsello, PhD will lead projects in the areas of sustainability and the humanities, and the development of community-based initiatives and civic engagement.