Salem State's First Year Reading Experience (FYRE) Program
The First Year Experience (FYE) office is excited to announce that Salem State’s First Year Reading Experience (FYRE) selection for the 2023-2024 academic year is “Ties That Bind: Stories of Love & Gratitude from the First Ten Year of StoryCorps” edited by Dave Isay.
The FYRE program connects new students to the university community through a shared reading experience, welcoming them to a culture that values the thoughtful discussion of ideas.
First-year students will receive the book free of charge during summer orientation, and are expected to read it prior to the start of the fall semester. Throughout the year, a number of events, activities, and in-class assignments will be connected to the themes within the book.
Past FYRE Selections
- “College Rules!” (2022)
- "Tell Me Who You Are: A Road Map for Cultivating Racial Literacy" (2021)
- “Look Me in the Eye” (2020)
- “The Book of Unknown Americans” (2019)
- “The Hate U Give” (2018)
- “Bad Feminist” (2017)
- “How Does it Feel to Be a Problem? Being Young and Arab in America” (2016)
- “Spare Parts” (2015)
- “I am Malala” (2014)
- “Orange is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison” (2013)
- “The Leftovers” (2012)
- “SuperFreakonomics” (2011)
- “Scratch Beginnings: Me, $25, and the Search for the American Dream” (2010)
- “Listening is an Act of Love” (2009)
To recommend a book to the selection committee, email the title and author to firstname.lastname@example.org.