Salem State is closely monitoring the coronavirus outbreak. Learn more about our response.
Geography and Sustainability Internships
Discover internship opportunities in geography and sustainability...
The department strongly encourages each student to have an internship. The internship provides employment related to his/her course of study and may be paid or unpaid. Many interns are offered full-time employment upon graduation from the place where they had their internship. The best time to take an internship is during the summer between the junior and senior year or during the senior year. Faculty members in the department maintain ties with businesses, organizations and government agencies that provide internships and paid employment.
Finding an Internship
Start your search early (preferably in the semester that precedes the internship), as certain industries and internship programs have early deadlines.
- First, identify your career interests and goals. Then seek out prospective organizations for internship opportunities that relate to your career goals and interests.
- Contact employers about internship opportunities. Introduce yourself and sell your skills and explain how you can contribute to the organization’s success.
- Check Career Services at Salem State.
- Search the internet for internship programs.
- Network with friends, alumni, faculty, etc.
- Provide the geography and sustainability department chairperson, Keith Ratner, with a description and documentation of the internship (venue, responsibilities, etc.).