Information about readmission to Salem State University
Students who previously attended Salem State University as a degree-seeking candidate, regardless of attending another institution subsequently, are considered a readmission applicant.
Please note the following:
- Due to the high volume of readmission applications and a shortened January timeframe, fully completed readmit applications received after Friday, December 20, 2019, cannot be guaranteed readmission for the spring 2020 academic semester.
- Applicants not considered for readmission for the spring 2020 semester will automatically have their application considered for readmission for the summer/fall 2020 academic terms.
Before submitting an application please review the following helpful information:
- Please allow the proper time for review and processing of your readmit application, which may take between 2-3 weeks, based on each individual student’s academic circumstance at the time of departure. Applicants will be notified by traditional mail of official readmission decisions. If applications are incomplete, individuals will be notified via the email account listed on their application regarding their readmit status. Applications that are submitted with errors or missing documents are considered incomplete, which can prolong the review process. If you include a personal statement with your application, please ensure that your statement is typed, not handwritten.
- If you voluntarily withdrew from Salem State University as a student in the Continuing Education and Professional Studies (evening) division, you must be reactivated as an evening student. If you believe you may have been enrolled as an evening student, please call our office at 978.542.5500 for directions on returning to Salem State University!
- All students who are granted readmission will be responsible for completing the current curriculum requirements, based upon the major(s) and minor(s) that they formally declared prior to their time of departure from Salem State University.
- If you are looking to get your second degree from Salem State, please go to the admissions page, apply online as a transfer, and use Salem State University as your other institution.
- If you have been away from Salem State University for two years or more, and experienced academic difficulty (negative academic standing), you may be a candidate for the Fresh Start program. Students considering our Fresh Start program are highly encouraged to meet with an academic advisor prior to submitting an application.
- Note: The Fresh Start process runs separately from the readmission process, and as a result, Fresh Start applicants should expect to allow a month for their application to be fully processed. Incomplete applications will not be offered consideration for the Fresh Start program until they are properly completed.
If you have any questions regarding the readmit process, or need further assistance, please contact the advising office at 978.542.5500.