Salem State’s guide to navigating campus this fall
Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a novel highly contagious disease that causes respiratory illness and flu-like symptoms. Visit the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Center for Disease Control (CDC) for updates and resources.
This page will be updated regularly to reflect the latest campus preparations and guidelines in response to this evolving situation.
Campus Community Reporting
Salem State’s COVID-19 emergency response team coordinates closely with both the Salem Board of Health and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and strictly adheres to the guidance and recommendations provided by those agencies when we learn of a member of our community who may have contracted COVID-19 or been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.
In the event the circumstances warrant notification to individuals on campus due to a risk of exposure then we will do so in coordination with DPH, who takes the lead on the notification process.
We respect the privacy of individuals and the confidentiality of medical/healthcare information and therefore will not share information unless there is a fact pattern to support that other members of the community may be at risk.
Virtual Salem State
While we may not be together on campus, Salem State has created a number of ways for students, faculty and staff to engage online. If you need to reach a specific department or individual, please call or email us and we’ll respond. If you’re not sure who to contact, visit our directory. Many departments are also offering Zoom meetings.
Virtual Salem State brings together offices from across campus to highlight student services being offered online as well as a number of free online resources for fitness, entertainment and more.
- Public Safety: University Police at 978.542.6111
- Students and Families: Student Life at 978.542.6401
- Registration, tuition and financial aid: Student Navigation Center at 978.542.8000
- Study Abroad questions: Center for International Education at 978.542.6351
- Faculty and Academic questions: Academic Affairs at 978.542.6240
- Administrators and Staff: Human Resources at 978.542.6123
- You may also email SSUcovid19info@salemstate.edu with your question and it will be sent to the appropriate department.
To learn more about the coronavirus, risk assessment, situation updates, and more, please visit the following links:
A Message from President John Keenan
Campus Messages Archive
President John Keenan, Assistant Vice President, Public Safety and Risk Management Gene Labonte and Elisa Castillo, Assistant Dean of Students for Wellness have shared the following campus-wide messages to keep the Salem State community up to date.
Please note: guidelines and recommendations reflect the date the message was sent. The most recent information will be posted to this page as it develops.
- July 20, 2020: Salem State Repopulation Plan for Fall
- July 10, 2020: COVID-19 Campus Protocols and Preparedness Measures
- June 17, 2020: Fall 2020 Academic Class Schedule Update
- June 16, 2020: Safely Repopulating Campus
- May 20, 2020: Working Vision for the Fall Semester
- May 8, 2020: Commencement Week Activities
- April 28, 2020: The Road Ahead: Recovery and Defining a New Normal
- April 24, 2020: Remote Work Update
- April 16, 2020: Reporting of COVID-19 Cases
- April 14, 2020: Summer I courses moving online
- April 10, 2020: Salem State Offers Residence Halls and Gymnasium Space for Community Needs During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- April 2, 2020: A Message to Alumni and Friends: Vikings Respond to Community Needs
- April 1, 2020: Spring 2020 graduate policies
- March 30, 2020: Student refunds and pass/no pass option news
- March 30, 2020: Remote work extended to May 4, 2020
- March 27, 2020: Vikings respond to community needs
- March 24, 2020: Equity at the Center of Salem State University
- March 23, 2020: President Keenan: Update following Governor Baker’s Stay at Home Advisory
- March 20, 2020: An important message for our alumni and friends
- March 19, 2020: Important announcement about spring events and commencement
- March 19, 2020: Continuing to thrive on Viking resilience
- March 18, 2020: A Message to Families from President Keenan
- March 16, 2020: Remote learning for remainder of the semester and housing update
- March 16, 2020: Statement from the MASCAC regarding 2020 spring season
- March 13, 2020: Salem State Athletics statement on COVID-19
- March 13, 2020: What's open on campus: March 13 - 30
- March 13, 2020: Additional information on the week of March 23
- March 12, 2020: Advising and registration update, undergraduate day students
- March 12, 2020: Resident students housing update
- March 11, 2020: Classes canceled the week of March 23
- March 9, 2020: Coronavirus preparedness: Important message about campus activities
- March 9, 2020: Alert: Students should prepare for possible remote learning
- March 9, 2020: Frequently Asked Questions
- March 4, 2020: Salem State cancels all international university-affiliated spring travel due to risk of COVID-19 (coronavirus)
- February 29, 2020: Coronavirus update and next steps
- February 4, 2020: Coronavirus and the seasonal flu – protecting yourself and others
- January 29, 2020: Official SSU travel to China to be halted until further notice
- January 27, 2020: Monitoring the coronavirus outbreak