Salem State is closely monitoring the coronavirus outbreak. Learn more about our response.
Salem State Preparedness Against the Coronavirus Outbreak
A Message from President John Keenan
Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a novel highly contagious disease that causes respiratory illness and flu-like symptoms. Visit the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Center for Disease Control (CDC) for updates and resources.
This page will be updated regularly to reflect the latest campus preparations and guidelines in response to this evolving situation.
Campus Preparedness and Reporting
The university is also continuing our preparedness on campus through our pandemic emergency response and continuity of operations plans. These include response protocols should there be a suspected case on campus, as well as a continuity of operations plan should the university have to temporarily close offices or buildings.
All contingencies are being considered on how to manage this changing situation. The pandemic emergency response plan includes an emergency health incident advisory committee. The core response team is meeting on a daily basis.
Please know that Salem State’s COVID-19 emergency response team coordinates closely with both the Salem Board of Health and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and strictly adheres to the guidance and recommendations provided by those agencies when we learn of a member of our community who may have contracted COVID-19 or been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.
The Department of Public Health has strict guidelines that we follow. In the event the circumstances warrant notification to individuals on campus due to a risk of exposure then we will do so in coordination with DPH, who takes the lead on the notification process.
We respect the privacy of individuals and the confidentiality of medical/healthcare information and therefore will not share information unless there is a fact pattern to support that other members of the community may be at risk. Any information that is shared will be done so with strict adherence to the DPH guidelines.
Any campus updates will be made regularly to this webpage. However, if you have particular concerns, please contact one of the departments listed below:
- Public Safety: University Police at 978.542.6111
- Students and Families: Student Life at 978.542.6401
- Study Abroad questions: Center for International Education at 978.542.6351
- Faculty and Academic questions: Academic Affairs at 978.542.6240
- Administrators and Staff: Human Resources at 978.542.6123
- You may also email SSUcovid19info@salemstate.edu with your question and it will be sent to the appropriate department.
To learn more about the coronavirus, risk assessment, situation updates, and more, please visit the following links:
Campus Messages Archive
President John Keenan and Assistant Vice President, Public Safety and Risk Management Gene Labonte have shared the following campus-wide messages to keep the Salem State community up to date.
Please note: guidelines and recommendations reflect the date the message was sent. The most recent information will be posted to this page as it develops.
- April 2, 2020: A Message to Alumni and Friends: Vikings Respond to Community Needs
- April 1, 2020: Spring 2020 graduate policies
- March 30, 2020: Student refunds and pass/no pass option news
- March 30, 2020: Remote work extended to May 4, 2020
- March 27, 2020: Vikings respond to community needs
- March 24, 2020: Equity at the Center of Salem State University
- March 23, 2020: President Keenan: Update following Governor Baker’s Stay at Home Advisory
- March 20, 2020: An important message for our alumni and friends
- March 19, 2020: Important announcement about spring events and commencement
- March 19, 2020: Continuing to thrive on Viking resilience
- March 18, 2020: A Message to Families from President Keenan
- March 16, 2020: Remote learning for remainder of the semester and housing update
- March 16, 2020: Statement from the MASCAC regarding 2020 spring season
- March 13, 2020: Salem State Athletics statement on COVID-19
- March 13, 2020: What's open on campus: March 13 - 30
- March 13, 2020: Additional information on the week of March 23
- March 12, 2020: Advising and registration update, undergraduate day students
- March 12, 2020: Resident students housing update
- March 11, 2020: Classes canceled the week of March 23
- March 9, 2020: Coronavirus preparedness: Important message about campus activities
- March 9, 2020: Alert: Students should prepare for possible remote learning
- March 9, 2020: Frequently Asked Questions
- March 4, 2020: Salem State cancels all international university-affiliated spring travel due to risk of COVID-19 (coronavirus)
- February 29, 2020: Coronavirus update and next steps
- February 4, 2020: Coronavirus and the seasonal flu – protecting yourself and others
- January 29, 2020: Official SSU travel to China to be halted until further notice
- January 27, 2020: Monitoring the coronavirus outbreak