Prospective Freshmen and Transfer Students
Applicants to the Commonwealth Honors Program should have a weighted high school GPA of 3.7 or higher. We are an SAT-optional program, but test scores are required for some prestigious scholarships. Space in the program is limited so early application is recommended.
Student applicants must also submit an essay for review by the honors program. Application to the Commonwealth Honors Program is an option when you complete your general online application to Salem State University. Simply select that you are interested in the honors program and email the required honors admission essay to email@example.com.
Application Deadlines for Fall Admission
- Prospective Freshmen: February 1, however priority consideration is given to students who apply by early action on, or before, November 15
- Prospective Transfer Students: June 1 (Transfer Application)
- Commonwealth Honors Associate's Degree Graduates: August 1
Current and Admitted Salem State Students
Current Students Deadline: March 1 (Honors Program Current Student Application)
Please complete the application form below and attach your admissions essay. Current students are asked to provide the name and email of one Salem State professor who can provide a recommendation, upon request.
Application Deadline for January Admission
Current and Transfer Students: November 7
About the Honors Admission Essay
You will be asked to submit a one-page essay that explains more in-depth who you are besides your GPA and test scores. Please email your completed essay to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Possible essay topics include, but are not limited to:
- What do you hope to gain from your Salem State experience?
- How will Honors enrich your program of study?
- How will you contribute to the Salem State University community?
- Describe a struggle or adverse situation which you have overcome and been stronger for.
Find Out More About Us!
The Honors Program will have a booth at open houses throughout the year at Salem State University. Please see the 'visit us' page for a complete list of dates. Feel free to approach our table at these events to speak with students and faculty about being a part of the Honors Program!