M.S. in Industrial/Organizational Psychology
The Master of Science in Industrial/Organizational Psychology curriculum is designed according to the guidelines developed by the Society for Industrial/Organizational Psychology for master’s degree programs in I/O Psychology. Our 42 credit program consists of 9 core courses including a customized internship that provides real-world experience in areas such as corporate performance, personnel testing and human resources; and 5 electives with specializations in either human resources or organizational development. Learn more about program requirements and courses.
It is this adherence to the scientific method that distinguishes our I/O degree from general organizational psychology or related programs. It is the I/O field’s dedication to the use of the scientific method that qualifies it to be considered by many as a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) field.
At the same time our program includes courses from the Bertolon School of Business that are related to I/O Psychology. This combination of STEM emphasis with business related courses adds strength and important diversity to our curriculum.
Program highlights include:
- Well-rounded curriculum with core courses in both psychology and business, and specialized courses in human resources and organizational development
- Customized 300-hour internship that provides students with practical experience in areas such as corporate performance, personnel testing, organizational development, and human resources. Examples of internship placements include TÜV SÜD America Inc., Randstad International, Linkage Inc., Boston Planning and Development Agency, Gemline (Manufacturing)
- Expert faculty who have worked in, and consulted with, diverse organizations from charities to public social service systems to Fortune 500 companies
- Flexible class formats with courses offered in the evenings, hybrid, or online
- Full-time students can complete these program within two years; part-time students can complete this program in three or four years depending on the number of courses taken per semester
- Classmates from across the country and around the world. Recent or current students have enrolled from enrolled from China, Sweden, Russia, Germany, the Caribbean Islands, India, Kenya, Nepal, and Italy.
Selected Internship Locations
- Linkage, Inc. (Leadership and Organizational Development Consulting Firm, Lexington, MA)
- i3 Solutions (Staffing and Training Firm, Headquarters: Sterling, VA, internship completed in MA with local supervision)
- Weston & Sampson (Environmental and Infrastructure Engineering Consulting Firm, Peabody, MA)
- North Shore Partners Healthcare Group (Salem Hospital)
- Salem State University Alumni Office (Salem, MA)
- Bridgewell (Services for Peoples with Disabilities and Other Life Challenges, Lynnfield, MA)
- Mercury Computer Systems (Defense Electronics, Chelmsford, MA)
- Dynatrace Software (“World Leader” in Application Performance Management, Waltham, MA)
- Lahey Behavioral Health (formerly Northeast Behavioral Health) (Beverly, MA)
- New England Biolabs (Biotechnology, Genomic Research, Ipswich, MA)
- Randstad International (A Global Staffing Agency, Boston, MA)
- YMCA Northshore (various locations, Northshore of Boston)
- Northshore Community College (Lynn, MA)
- The Employee Engagement Group (Organizational Consulting Firm, Woburn, MA)
- Partners Healthcare (Internal Organizational Development Consulting Group, Boston, MA)
- Public Consulting Group (Public Sector Management Consulting, Boston, MA)
- Rapid7 (IT Security Data & Analytics Consultants, Boston, MA)
- GEMLINE (International Lean Manufacturing Organization, Lawrence, MA)
- Beverly Hospital (Beverly, MA)
- TÜV SÜD America Inc. (Global Testing, Certification, Inspection and Training Provider, Peabody. MA)
- Greater Lynn Senior Services (Lynn, MA)
- Bertolon School of Business, Salem State University (Salem, MA)
- Center for International Education, Salem State University (Salem, MA)
- Care Dimensions (Hospice Organization, Danvers, MA)
- Daley and Associates LLC (1 Financial Center, Boston, MA)
- NFI-MA (Human Services Non-Profit, Danvers, MA)
- dataCon, Inc. (Electronics Manufacturing provider focused on delivering mission critical defense and aerospace systems, Burlington, MA)
- EBSCO Information Services (Ipswich, MA)
- Club Realty (Human Resources, Boston, MA)
- Massachusetts Department of Transportation (Boston, MA)
- CRICO Strategies/Risk Management Foundation for Harvard Medical Institutions (Human Resources)
- Beverly Hospital (Human Resources)
- Northeast Arc (Human Resources)
- Barton Associates, Peabody, MA-(Medical Staffing Agency – Organizational Development/Human Resources)
- Boston Planning and Redevelopment Agency (Human Resources)
- Peabody Essex Museum (Human Resources)
- Kapersky Lab, Woburn, MA (Human Resources)
A fast-growing field, Industrial/Organizational Psychology is projected to grow 53 percent between 2012 and 2020. Types of positions include: Human Performance Consultant, Human Resources Generalist, Management Consultant, I/O Psychologist, Organizational Consultant and Executive Coach. The median wage range for Industrial/Organizational Psychologists is $70,000-$90,000+ depending on actual job title and job location.*
Whether you want to learn more about courses, faculty members or general program information, get in touch with the graduate program coordinator to see what this program has to offer you.
Ready to Apply?
Your future is waiting. Take the next step by learning about program-specific admissions requirements and applying today!