Salem State is closely monitoring the coronavirus outbreak. Learn more about our response.
Apply: MS Counseling
Graduate Application Process
MS Counseling Graduate Application Process
- $50 non-refundable application fee
- Official transcript or transcript evaluation
- Three references
- Official copy of scores from either the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) taken within the last five years. Those who already hold a master's degree or higher are exempt from this requirement. Review complete testing information.
- English Proficiency, if applicable for International applicants
- Statement of purpose
Additional Requirements for the School Adjustment Counselor Track
- Passing scores on the Communication and Literacy MTEL, both the reading and writing subtest
- Applications accepted on a rolling basis and reviewed once complete.
18 hours of study in the field of psychology and/or the behavioral sciences, including:
- A course in general psychology or the equivalent
- A course in statistics or research or the equivalent
- Because work experience is a plus (but not required), address related work experience in your narrative statement.
- Your letters of recommendation and narrative statement are important, so be thoughtful when putting these pieces of your application together.
- If you have earned a substantial number of graduate credits within the past seven years but have not earned a master's degree, discuss the possibility of advanced standing with the program coordinator.