The mission of the chemistry program at Salem State is to educate chemists who are ready for employment or graduate school. We aim to give graduates a firm foundation in each of the sub-disciplines of chemistry — Organic, Inorganic, Physical, Analytical, and Biochemistry — and an appreciation for the relationships between these sub-disciplines. We offer chemistry majors programs in these four tracks, including a biochemistry concentration and a BS degree approved by the American Chemical Society (ACS). Graduates have gone on to careers at General Electric, Osram Sylvania, Genetics Institute, and Waters Corporation. Others are working on graduate degrees at Penn State, Brandeis, Brown, Tufts, and RPI.
Studying chemistry at Salem State enables students to:
- Retrieve, evaluate and communicate scientific information.
- Be prepared to work safely in a modern laboratory.
- Use their knowledge, skills and experience to solve problems.
- Work in an ethical and professional manner.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of structure and bonding, intermolecular interactions, chemical reactivity, kinetics and thermodynamics and more.
- Find a complete list of chemistry learning outcomes.