Skip to main content

Military-Connected Application Process

Apply for admission to a degree program at Salem State University.

Submit official proof of high school graduation, official transcripts from all previous institutions (if necessary), official military transcripts (see the bottom of the page), and a resume.

If you have never used or applied for VA Educational Benefits complete an application for VA Educational Benefits through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

  • If you are on active duty, you must have your branch specific Education Services Officer certify your application by signing in the appropriate block.
  • National Guard members must submit form DD-2384, Notice of Eligibility, along with the application for benefits. This form is available through your unit.

If you are transferring to Salem State and have used your VA Educational Benefits within the last year, complete a Change of Program or Place of Training. This can be completed through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Important: Verify Your Enrollment 

Chapter 30, 1606, & 1607 (REAP) Recipients
Once your enrollment has been certified by Salem State's veterans’ affairs office for the current semester, you must verify your enrollment with the VA at the end of each month before you will receive your monthly benefit. To verify enrollment, visit the Department of Veterans' Affairs or call 1.877.823.2378.

Massachusetts National Guard

Members of the Massachusetts National Guard who wish to use the 100 percent Tuition and Fee Reimbursement Program must request a certificate of eligibility. Visit the Massachusetts National Guard for complete information.

Military Credit - VALOR Act Academic Credit Evaluation Policy

Salem State University recognizes the educational value of military education and experience and will award credit earned for military education and/or military service based on recommendations of the American Council on Education (ACE) and the comparability and applicability of the coursework to the student’s degree program. Institutional credit will be granted for military coursework without clear disciplinary equivalents if ACE guidelines for college credit exist.

Students will be required to submit official military transcripts to transfer services prior to the evaluation and awarding of credit. Students wishing to obtain credit by examination and/or life experience will follow the established policy of the institution for the granting of such credit. Contact Ted Serozynsky, veterans' affairs coordinator, at 978.542.6082 for assistance.

Military Transcripts

Joint Services Transcript (Army, Navy, Coast Guard or Marine)

Air Force (CCAF)

Back to top