Skip to main content

Undocumented Students


Undocumented Students

Salem State University welcomes undocumented students of all ethnicities and nationalities. 

Are undocumented students eligible for Massachusetts state or federal financial aid?

At this time, undocumented students are not eligible. Salem State University has a small scholarship available to undocumented students called the Opportunity Fund, which can be found in AcademicWorks. We encourage students to also look for private scholarships and/or loans.

Are undocumented students eligible for in-state tuition?

In 2012, the governor of Massachusetts announced that students who qualify for the Federal Deferred Action Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program could be charged in-state tuition and fees. In order to be eligible for in-state tuition, applicants must submit a copy of the C-33/DACA card or a copy of the I-797 Notice of Action to the online application. Please be advised that this legislation may change.

What do I need to know as a DACA student when applying to Salem State?

When completing the application you will indicate that you are a Non-U.S. citizen and a Massachusetts resident to qualify for in-state tuition. As a proof of residency, you will attach a copy of a C-33/DACA card or a copy of an I-797 Notice of Action to your online application.


Back to top