This letter was published and shared on March 9, 2020. This is a rapidly changing situation and Salem State University is closely monitoring developments of the Coronavirus outbreak. Learn the latest updates.
Dear Salem State Students,
Many of you have already heard that in light of the coronavirus threat, some universities are moving classes online. The Massachusetts Department of Higher Education and Salem State have not decided to do this at this point. We are monitoring this situation closely and reviewing the latest recommendations released this afternoon by Governor Charlie Baker to determine next steps.
However, with spring break ahead, we are asking students to prepare for the possibility of learning remotely. Our goal is that you are able to complete your spring semester and earn the credits you had planned for this semester.
In preparation, when you leave for spring break:
--Please bring with you any materials that you would need should Salem State decide to move classes online when they are back in session on March 23 (remember, we have not decided this yet).
- Other materials crucial to completing your coursework
- Items that you could not do without for some time
--Update your emergency contact information in Navigator.
--If you need to register for spring break housing, please email residence life at email@example.com.
--If you have concerns about housing and food insecurity, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If classes are moved to online:
You will be notified before March 23 that class are online.
- Check your SSU email and the webpage salemstate.edu/coronavirus-preparedness.
- All students should ensure that they are familiar with Salem State’s online learning platform, Canvas.
- Faculty are being prepared to move classes online should there be a need.
- If you require accommodations to complete coursework online, please contact disability services at 978.542.6217.
If classes are NOT moved online:
- Classes resume on campus on March 23
- Residence halls reopen at noon on March 22
- Check your SSU email and the website if you are unsure about class status salemstate.edu/coronavirus-preparedness
- If you have additional questions or concerns, you can email us at SSUcovid19info@salemstate.edu or call student life at 978.542.6411 (8:30 am to 5 pm).
Please know that our coronavirus response team is monitoring this threat closely. Currently, there are no positive or suspected coronavirus cases on our campus. Thank you for your cooperation; we are making challenging decisions that prioritize your health and wellbeing and the entire campus community.
Carla Panzella, PhD
Dean of Students, Associate Vice President
Assistant Vice President of Campus Safety and Risk Management, and Chief of Police