Overview of Auditions and Portfolios
Audition and Portfolio Details
Art applicants must submit a portfolio of 10-15 pieces of original art and design work that use a variety of media and demonstrate a range of skills. Written descriptions for each portfolio piece should include the title, date, medium, dimensions, and a short explanation of the purpose of the project. Portfolios should be submitted online at salemstate.slideroom.com.
Applications will not be considered complete until all required credentials are submitted, please adhere to all admissions deadlines.
Online Audition (Submit the Following on Get Acceptd)
- Dance resumé, highlighting dance training and performing experience
- Submit one video of a solo that is two to three minutes in length in the dance style of your choice. Solos can be self-choreographed or created by another choreographer. Please include the title of the dance, choreographer, and music. Videos can be of a live performance or of a dance studio taping.
- Submit a written essay or video interview that answers why you want to pursue a major in dance.
Questions? Please contact Professor Meghan McLyman for more information.
Music applicants are required to audition. Applications will not be considered complete until all required credentials are submitted. Music auditions are being held in-person on the dates below, please contact Professor Mary-Jo Grenfell for more information.
Audition Dates for 2022-23
- Saturday, November 19, 2022
- Saturday, February 4, 2023
- Saturday, February 25, 2023
- Saturday, April 22, 2023
- Saturday, August 26, 2023
Bachelor of Arts vs. Bachelor of Fine Arts
There are two tracks in the theatre major to which students can apply:
- Bachelor of Arts, BA (does not require an audition/portfolio)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, BFA (requires an audition/portfolio review as part of the application review)
If you do not initially apply to the BFA as an incoming student, you will have the opportunity to audition during your first year.
Upcoming BFA Auditions and Portfolio Reviews will be held in person:
Sunday, October 16, 2022
Saturday, December 3, 2022
Saturday, January 28, 2023
Complimentary tickets are available to prospective students for select student performances. To inquire about tickets for upcoming performances or to schedule a tour of the Sophia Gordon Center for Creative and Performing Arts please email Ashley O’Toole.
Questions on your portfolio or audition requirements? Contact undergraduate admissions.
Salem, MA 01970
352 Lafayette St.
Salem, MA 01970