In response to the latest COVID-19 surge, spring semester classes will take place remotely through at least January 30, 2022.
Auditions and Portfolios
Overview of Auditions and Portfolios
Art + Design Info Sessions
Art applicants must submit a portfolio of 10-15 pieces of original art and design work that use a variety of media and demonstrate a range of skills. Written descriptions for each portfolio piece should include the title, date, medium, dimensions, and a short explanation of the purpose of the project. Portfolios should be submitted online at salemstate.slideroom.com.
Applications will not be considered complete until all required credentials are submitted, please adhere to all admissions deadlines.
Online Audition (Submit the Following on Get Acceptd)
- Dance resumé, highlighting dance training and performing experience
- Submit one solo that is two to three minutes in length in the dance style of your choice. Solos can be self-choreographed or created by another choreographer. Please include the title of the dance, choreographer, and music. Videos can be of a live performance or of a dance studio taping.
- Submit a written essay or video interview that answers why you want to pursue a major in dance.
Video Submission Requirements
Submit one solo that is two to three minutes in length in the dance style of your choice. Solos can be self-choreographed or created by another choreographer. Please include the title of the dance, choreographer and music. Videos can be of a live performance or of a dance studio taping.
Submit a written essay or video interview that answers why you want to pursue a major in dance.
Music applicants are required to audition. Applications will not be considered complete until all required credentials are submitted. Music auditions are being held in-person on the dates below, please contact Professor Mary-Jo Grenfell for more information.
Audition Dates for 2021-22:
- August 28, 2021
- November 20, 2021
- January 29, 2022
- February 26, 2022
- April 23, 2022
Bachelor of Arts vs. Bachelor of Fine Arts
There are two tracks in the theatre major to which students can apply:
- Bachelor of Arts, BA (does not require an audition/portfolio)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, BFA (requires an audition/portfolio review as part of the application review)
If you do not initially apply to the BFA as an incoming student, you will have the opportunity to audition during your freshman year.
Audition/portfolio should be submitted online at salemstate.slideroom.com. The university will not be offering on campus auditions/portfolio reviews.
Portfolios/Auditions will be reviewed on the following dates:
- Friday, October 29, 2021 (deadline to submit is Wednesday, October 27)
- Friday, December 10, 2021 (deadline to submit is Wednesday, December 8)
- Friday, January 28, 2022 (deadline to submit is Wednesday, January 26)
Complimentary tickets are available to prospective students for select student performances. To inquire about tickets for upcoming performances or to schedule a tour of the Sophia Gordon Center for Creative and Performing Arts please email Ashley Preston O’Toole.
Questions on your portfolio or audition requirements? Contact undergraduate admissions.
Salem, MA 01970
352 Lafayette St.
Salem, MA 01970