Due to ongoing boiler repairs, day and evening classes (and offices) held in some North Campus buildings will continue to be remote today, Tuesday, December 5.
Auditions and Portfolios
Audition and Portfolio Details
Several of Salem State's visual and performing arts programs require auditions, interviews, and/or portfolios as part of the admissions process. Review the application information and deadlines below for the program in which you plan to apply.
Applicants are not required to submit an admissions portfolio. Instead, graphic design and studio art and photography concentrators submit portfolios for review and evaluation after completing 21 credits in the major — this creates greater equity in the admissions process. Only students applying for the Harold T. and Alice M. McCarthy Scholarship must submit a portfolio. The deadline to apply for this scholarship is March 1, 2024.
Submit portfolios online at salemstate.slideroom.com.
Online Audition (Submit the Following on Get Acceptd)
- Dance resumé, highlighting dance training and performing experience
- Submit one video of a solo two to three minutes in length in the dance style of your choice. Solos can be self-choreographed or created by another choreographer. Please include the title of the dance, choreographer and music. Videos can be of a live performance or a dance studio taping.
- Submit a written essay or video interview that answers why you want to pursue a major in dance.
Questions? Please contact Professor Meghan McLyman for more information.
Music applicants are required to audition. Applications will not be considered complete until all required credentials are submitted. Music auditions are being held in person on the dates below. Please contact Professor Mary-Jo Grenfell for more information.
Music Audition Dates for 2023-2024
- Saturday, November 18, 2023
- Saturday, February 3, 2024
- Saturday, February 24, 2024
- Saturday, April 20, 2024
- Saturday, August 24, 2024
Bachelor of Arts vs. Bachelor of Fine Arts
There are two tracks in the theatre major to which students can apply:
- Bachelor of Arts, BA (does not require an audition/portfolio)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, BFA (requires an audition/portfolio review as part of the application review)
If you do not initially apply to the BFA as an incoming student, you will have the opportunity to audition during your first year.
2023-2024 BFA Auditions and Portfolio Review Dates
Saturday, November 18, 2023
Saturday, December 2, 2023
Saturday, January 20, 2024
Complimentary tickets are available to prospective students for select student performances. To inquire about tickets for upcoming performances or to schedule a tour of the Sophia Gordon Center for Creative and Performing Arts, please email Ashley O’Toole.
Questions on your portfolio or audition requirements? Contact undergraduate admissions.
Salem, MA 01970
352 Lafayette St.
Salem, MA 01970