Why Study French?
Whether you choose to take a few classes or to complete a major or a minor in French, the French language program at Salem State University will help you to develop proficiency in a language that is spoken on five continents, in over 40 countries, by approximately 10% of the world's population. However, the ability to communicate in French is not the only valuable aspect of French studies!
The French program at Salem State also includes the study of French and Francophone cultures and literatures, in which you will develop:
- sharp critical thinking ability
- oral and written analytical skills
- a comparative perspective on global affairs
- cross-cultural awareness and the ability to work with diverse groups of people
- a broad multidisciplinary knowledge base (including literature, history, art, politics, philosophy, linguistics, sociology, economics, and many more disciplines which intersect with French and Francophone cultures).