About the Foundation
Working with the university and other partners, the foundation operates under the leadership of a 23-member board of directors comprised of alumni and community leaders who take their roles seriously as stewards of contributed private funds.
Additional Information about the Foundation
Annalisa Di Palma, Chair
Louis J. George '89, Vice Chair
Jeffrey V. Cicolini ’94, Treasurer
Andrea C. Liftman '75G, Secretary
Kathleen L. Skrabut, Immediate Past ChairEx-Officio
John D. Keenan, President, Salem State University (voting)
Midge G. DeSimone '76, Board of Trustees, Salem State University (voting)
Debra Lee Surface ’05, ‘19G, President, Salem State University Alumni Association (voting)
Cheryl W. Crounse, Vice President, Advancement and Executive Director, Salem State University Foundation (non-voting)
Nancy A. Dias '09, '13G
Kim Gassett-Schiller ’83, '18H
Richard J. Gilmartin '76
David C. Gravel ‘78
Virginia C. Lyons '16
Joanne Mendes '79
Paul A. Petrowski ’66
Michael D. Procopio '12
Kate E. Reid
Joanne Ricciardiello '68, '19H
Stephen A. Rollins Jr.
Jacob S. Segal '17H
C. David Surface '88
Elaine A. Zetes ‘88G
The powers and duties of the audit/finance committee shall include:
- Presenting an annual budget for Board approval at the annual meeting of the Board
- Reviewing and recommending for Board action audits, accounting procedures, financial activities, and expenditures
Board Development Committee
The powers and duties of the board development committee shall include:
- Presenting the slate of officers for election at the Annual Meeting
- Identifying, cultivating and nominating, for election to the Board, directors who meet the needs of the Foundation
- Facilitating new directors’ orientation
- Identifying opportunities for involving directors in Foundation and Salem State University activities.
Fundraising and Engagement Committee
The powers and duties of the fundraising committee shall be:
- Identifying prospective donors for cultivation in support of the Foundation and the University
- Participating in cultivation and solicitation activities under the guidance of Advancement
- Providing information helpful in prospect research
- Actively encouraging Directors of the Board to meet their Director philanthropic contribution responsibilities
- The powers and duties of the investment committee shall include:
- Recommending investment policies for Board approval not less frequently than annually
- Reviewing and recommending for Board action the use of financial advisors and managers, spending policies, investment policies, and establishing and managing funds
Memorandum of Agreement between Salem State University and the Salem State Foundation.
With guidance from our advisors at Eastern Wealth Management, the foundation’s Investment Committee invests private contributions in ways that meet the needs of the Salem State community not met through public funding, which today accounts for less than 40 percent of university revenues.
The foundation also works with university partners to do the following:
- Manage an endowment
- Increase annual disbursements to academic and administrative departments
- Cultivate and steward a culture of philanthropy
Tax ID 04-2620632
Foundation News and Events
Funds managed by Eastern Wealth Management
Endowment Asset Allocationas of June 30, 2021
Endowment Market Value GrowthFY2012 - FY2021
$5.1MRaised in the last year!
187%Scholarship growth over the last decade!
$41.7MEndowment market as of June 30, 2021