The O-Team is a group of upperclass students who volunteer to help welcome the incoming class of first-year students each year in August and September. Any current Salem State student can apply to be a member of the O-Team as long as they bring a high level of enthusiasm and dedication to welcoming students to the university.
O-Team assists in coordinating and implementing first year student early move-in, First Year Day of Service, Convocation, and First Year Reading Experience (FYRE) events during the first week of the semester and has the opportunity to stay connected throughout the year at other programs and activities sponsored by First Year Experience (FYE).
O-Team members are positive role-models for first year students and possess knowledge of campus resources, student organizations, processes, and university events/activities. The primary mission of O-Team is to ensure that first year students have a memorable and informative welcome to Salem State University.
- Move-in early (for residential students) and attend mandatory training/team-building (all O-Team members) on Wednesday, August 28.
- Assist in helping first year Day of Service participants move-in on the afternoon of Thursday, August 29
- Assist in coordinating and implementing the First Year Day of Service for all first year early move-in participants (beginning evening of Thursday, August 29–end of the day on Friday, August 30)
- Assist with Viking Plunge activities and selected move-in times to residence halls (Saturday, August 31–Sunday, September 1)
- Serve as a volunteer during the annual Convocation for incoming class on Tuesday, September 3
- Read the FYRE selection over the course of the summer and assist faculty/staff in facilitating a book discussion with an assigned group on Tuesday, September 3
- Serve as a resource for students regarding academic, campus services, activities, facilities, and other aspects of Salem State University
- Work collaboratively with all members of the O-Team and FYE staff
- Serve as a role model for first year students as well as other members of the O-Team and FYE staff
- Represent Salem State University and First Year Experience accurately and positively
The schedule of events each member of O-Team helps coordinate will depend on the number of students participating in O-Team each year. FYE is committed to ensuring that the O-Team is refreshed and ready to start the semester on a positive note so the schedule will be built to provide breaks and time off as much as possible.
- That warm fuzzy feeling that comes with making a first-year student smile and feel welcome at their new university
- A couple of truly stylish t-shirts/tank tops as well as other O-Team swag
- Early move-in to the residence halls and meals prior to classes starting
- A resume-building experience and opportunity for a great reference as you apply for other jobs
The application can be found online.
Franklin E Chilaka