Salem State is closely monitoring the coronavirus outbreak. Learn more about our response.
First Year Mentors are undergraduate student leaders who serve as a resource for first year students in the First Year Experience Office, supporting students’ transition to and through the first year of college.
Mentors work 5-10 hours a week (depending on work study, schedule and availability) and are paid at a rate of $13.25 per hour — this will increase to $14 in January 2021.
Mentors work out of the First Year Experience Office during normal business hours, Monday-Friday, 8:30 am-5 pm. At times, mentors may be asked to adjust their schedule or work additional hours (based on availability and interest) to support evening and weekend events. Mentors are supervised by graduate-level student success coaches, the FYE assistant director and director of First Year Experience.
- Provide guidance and support to new students on an individual and group basis.
- Serve as a member of the O-Team (Opening Team) at the start of the academic year which includes leading small groups during the First Year Day of Service, staffing Convocation, and facilitating first year reading experience discussion groups.
- Assist in coordinating, staffing, and/or facilitating first year programs and events.
- Represent the office and institution at information tables during Open Houses and Accepted Student Days.
- Participate in the Viking Video Chat Series, a live webinar series for incoming first-year students providing them the opportunity to ask questions to currently enrolled upperclassmen students.
- Oversee FYE social media platforms by responding to student inquiries and posting university events and resources designed to support student success.
- Conduct phone outreach each semester to first year students.
- Develop a series of vlogs based on assigned student success strategies.
- Staff Student Success Stations throughout the course of the academic year, distributing materials and responding to questions.
- Submit bi-weekly blog posts on academic and social aspects of the university experience.
- Assist in the development of resources and materials to support new students in their transition to the university.
- Be familiar with university resources and initiatives.
- Attend all required training workshops and staff meetings.
- Assist with general office functions including staffing the front desk, answering phones, hanging posters, etc.
- Serve as a role model for new students and represent the First Year Experience Office in a friendly and professional manner.
- Other duties as assigned
Terms of Employment
- Must be a current, full-time student at Salem State University
- Must have a minimum cumulative and semester grade point average (GPA) of 2.5
- Must apply to be an O-Team member (www.salemstate.edu/o-team)
- Must be available and participate in:
- The FYE New Staff Kick-Off on April 30 from 5-7 pm virtually via Zoom
- A bi-weekly summer Canvas course
- Fall Training: Saturday, September 12, 2020, 9 am-5 pm
- Winter Training: Saturday, January 23, 2021, 9 am-5 pm
How to Apply
Fill out the new mentor application form.
Please submit applications via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person to the First Year Experience Office located at Dining Commons 101A. For any questions please call 978.542.2618 or email us at email@example.com.
Applications are due Friday, April 17!