Communicating with admissions reviewers
Graduate Admissions Personal Statement
Your personal statement is an important component of your graduate application. Pay attention to content, grammar and style, as your personal statement can serve as a writing sample to reviewers. You must upload your personal statement into the online application.
Graduate programs that have specific content to address in the personal statement and/or additional writing samples
Visit the program admissions page for additional information on the program's personal statement.
- MA English
- MA/MAT English Dual Degree
- MAT English
- MAT Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- MAT Spanish
- M.Ed. Higher Education Student Affairs
- M.Ed. Special Education
- MS - Occupational Therapy Direct Entry Program
- MSN - Master of Science in Nursing
- MSW - Master of Social Work
General guidelines for programs that do not have program-specific personal statement requirements
- Appropriate length is about 500- to 1,000-words or two to three pages, double-spaced
- Address what factors in your personal and professional history have influenced you in the past and now lead you to seek admission to this program at Salem State.
- Write about long-term professional goals, and how will this program help you meet them.
- Discuss any other information that you think would help the admissions committee to evaluate your application.