Fitness Center Memberships
All individuals interested in using the Gassett Fitness Center must complete the registration form and pay any applicable fees. Your Clipper Card or Gassett ID Card will provide you with facility access and you must present it at each visit to the fitness center. Registration forms and payment can be submitted to the front desk of the Gassett Fitness Center during any operational hour, at which time your ID will be activated for your membership.
- Entry into the Gassett Fitness Center during regular building hours
- Options for:
- Group Exercise class participation
- Batting Cage (when not in use by in-season varsity athletic teams)
- Intramural and Club Sports
- Participation in open recreation activities including pick-up basketball, volleyball, indoor soccer and more!
- Reduced prices on instructional programs
- Use of the locker rooms (daily use, no rentals)
- Equipment checkout
- Special events and incentive programs
- Sponsorship of guests (2 per visit per day; $10 guest fee per guest)
Many employer-sponsored health plans provide a fitness rebate for your fitness center membership. Please see individual plans for eligibility requirements. Members are responsible for completing any fitness rebate forms provided by their insurance carrier. The Gassett Fitness Center will provide proof of fitness center membership and proof of payment. Please complete the insurance reimbursement form and submit to Bethany Ross.
The Gassett Fitness Center offers numerous membership categories. All memberships are subject to proof of affiliation, confirmation of employment, or proof of enrollment.
- Enrolled Students (No Charge): All undergraduate and graduate degree-seeking students taking at least one class per semester and paying student fees are eligible to utilize the Gassett Fitness Center. No additional membership fee is charged.
- Leave of Absence Student Membership ($50/semester): Students that have taken a Leave of Absence from the University are eligible to purchase a semester membership.
Faculty and Staff Memberships
Gassett Fitness Center memberships are available for purchase by Salem State University full-time and part-time faculty and staff.
- Faculty and Staff Tier 1 (Annual Salary below $40,000): Annual Membership $100
- Faculty and Staff Tier 2 (Annual Salary between $40,000 - $75,000): Annual Membership $150
- Faculty and Staff Tier 3 (Annual Salary between $75,001 - $99,999): Annual Membership $200
- Faculty and Staff Tier 4 (Annual Salary $100,000 and above): Annual Membership $250
Visiting Scholar Membership ($50/semester): Anyone teaching at Salem State for a period of time as a visiting lecturer/scholar is eligible to purchase this membership on a semester basis.
Faculty/Staff Spouse Memberships: Gassett Fitness Center memberships are available for purchase by the spouse of eligible Salem State University full-time and part-time faculty and staff. The full or part-time faculty or staff member at SSU does not need to have a current Gassett Fitness Center membership before his/her spouse can purchase their membership. The spouse membership rate is based on the salary tier of the Salem State employee of whom they are the spouse (see pricing above).
- College Student Summer Membership ($75): All students home for the summer from another college/university are eligible. They must show a valid college/university ID to purchase this membership type. All memberships expire on 8/31 of the current year.
- Conference Guest ($10.00/day) ($25/week): Those utilizing on-campus housing during the summer term will have access to the Gassett Fitness Center and can purchase fitness center memberships during their stay. All individuals interested in using the Gassett Fitness Center must be at least 18 years of age, complete the registration form, and pay any applicable fees.
- Faculty/Staff Summer Only Membership ($75): All full-time and part-time faculty and staff that are eligible for membership during the year are eligible for a summer-only membership.
- Student Summer Membership (No charge): To be eligible, the student has not graduated AND must have been enrolled in the previous spring and upcoming fall semesters
- OR, must be enrolled in summer classes (session 1 and/or 2)
- OR, must be enrolled in upcoming fall classes
Affiliate Memberships: Eligible individuals include Dining Services, Bookstore and Enterprise Center.
- Affiliate Employee Tier 1 (Annual Salary below $40,000): Annual Membership $100
- Affiliate Employee Tier 2 (Annual Salary between $40,000 - $75,000): Annual Membership $150
- Affiliate Employee Tier 3 (Annual Salary Between $75,001 - $99,999): Annual Membership $200
- Affiliate Employee Tier 4 (Annual Salary $100,000 and above): Annual Membership $250
Alumni Membership ($500/year): Anyone that has graduated from Salem State University is eligible for an alumni membership. There is a one-time fee required; no monthly payment options are available.
Community Membership ($500/year): Anyone living in the local community is eligible for a community-membership. There is a one-time fee required; no monthly payment options are available.
Recent Grad Membership ($75/semester): Any SSU senior that was registered for classes during the most recent semester and graduated in the current year is eligible to purchase this membership. Their membership will be extended through 5/31 (fall grad), 8/31 (spring grad) or 12/31 (August grad) of the current year.
Retiree Membership ($200.00/year): Anyone that has retired from Salem State University is eligible for a retiree membership. There is a one-time fee required; no monthly payment options are available.
*The health and safety of our community have been and will remain our top priority. As of June 2020, a reopening date for the Gassett Fitness Center has not yet been determined. We continue to find ways to keep our community together, even when apart, and we hope you join us in Bringing SSU to You!
Access to the Gassett Fitness Center is based on the following semester schedule:
- Spring Semester: January 1-May 31
- Summer Semester: Day after graduation-August 31
- Fall Semester: September 1-December 31
Any student who is registered for classes for the current semester is eligible based on the dates above. During the summer, student memberships are given to those who were registered for the previous spring semester (have not graduated) and are registered for the upcoming fall semester, or, are currently registered for summer classes (session I and/or II), or, are registered for the upcoming fall semester. For incoming students, facility access begins following orientation with successful completion of the registration form and a valid ClipperCard.
All fee-based memberships are on an annual basis only (with the exception of those listed above).
Faculty and staff registered for classes during the current semester will not be charged while they are enrolled in classes if paying student fees. The same student expiration dates and enrollment policies apply as listed above.