Established by the Salem State University Alumni Association, the Dr. Marilyn E. Flaherty distinguished alumnus/a award recognizes an individual who upon graduation from Salem State University, has distinguished himself or herself through their outstanding professional accomplishments.
- Each recipient must have attained notable achievement or made a lasting contribution in his or her professional endeavors.
- Each recipient must have earned a degree from Salem State University.
- It is preferred that recipient attend the awards ceremony to accept his or her award.
- The recipients are eligible to receive a specific award once, but are eligible to receive a different award in the future.
- The awards committee is not obligated to select a recipient from each category if applicants do not adequately meet the requirements.
- No member of the Alumni Association Board of Directors may self-nominate for the award.
- A separate nomination form must be completed for each nominee.
- As part of the nomination form, nominators must submit a 500 word or more statement establishing the candidate's qualifications with clear and concise detail as to why he/she should be selected for the award.
- The awards committee, comprised of members of the Salem State University Alumni Board, reserves the right to conduct independent research on a nominee. The committee will only consider information when it is part of a submitted nomination.
- The awards committee will also not consider nominations that consist solely of a nominee's resume.
- Incomplete nomination packets will NOT be considered.
Past Award Recipients
|2019||Tom Thibodeau '84|
|2018||Dr. Margaret Fitzgerald '83|
|2018||Representative Paul Tucker '87|
|2017||Dr. Nate Bryant '87, '93G|
|2016||Pamela R. Angelakis '89, '05G|
|2015||General Donald Bolduc '88|
|2014||John F. Tierney '73, '09H|
|2013||Suellen Breakey '86|
|2012||Kimberly Driscoll '89|
|2011||Robert Murphy '89|
|2010||Nancy D. Harrington '60, '63G, President Emerita|
|2009||Shea Family of Salem|
|2008||Michael Goldman '73|
|2007||Vincent McGrath '61|
|2006||Dr. Marilyn E. Flaherty '54|
|2005||Anne Driscoll '76|
|2004||Phillip Sullivan '54|
|2003||Deirdre A. Sartorelli '83|
|2002||Dennis Drinkwater '67|
|2001||James D. Leary '51|
|2000||Wayne Gates '76|
|1999||Dr. Anthony Cotoia '65|
|1998||Dr. Leonard P. Zani '54|
|1997||Sandra Lillo '64|
|1997||Donna Tosches '91|
|1996||William O. Thomson '60|
|1995||Senator Brian Lees '75|
|1994||Mary Commager '69|
|1993||Dr. John L. George '53|
|1992||Dorothy Foley '48|
|1991||Senator Robert Preston '69|
|1990||Jacquelyn Bowler Corrigan '67|
|1989||Dennis K. Palmer '54|
|1987||Stephen Hegarty '69|
|1986||Marie Balter '76|
|1985||Olga Sapp Peers '40|
|1984||Robert F. McKenna '56|
|1983||Vincent Piro '64|
|1982||Elizabeth B. Rawlins '50|
|1981||Celia Jacobs '77|
|1981||P.E. Starble '57|
|1980||Mildred Berman '48|
|1980||William G. Watson '54|
|1979||Thomas M. Feeley '68|
|1979||Thomas M. Whelan '68|
|1976||George H. Ellison '54|