Transfer International Applicants | Salem State University Skip to main content

Transfer International Applicants

A transfer student is anyone who has been previously enrolled in any college or university, international or domestic.

How to Apply

How to Apply

  • Submit your college/university transcripts

    All original transcripts/credentials from institutions outside of the United States must have an approved agency's evaluation of courses, grades, academic degrees, and grade point averages.

    All original transcripts/credentials from overseas institutions must be in English or professionally translated into English; and evaluated by a professional evaluation service (such as: The Center for Educational Documentation ( or World Education Services (

    It usually takes at least three weeks for one of these services to evaluate your transcript. Please note: to transfer international course work to Salem State University, official course/subject description or syllabi in English must be submitted (this is not required for the admissions process).

  • Submit your high school transcripts

    An official high school transcript and SAT or ACT scores are required if you have less than 12 college credits, a GPA of less than 2.5 and have been out of high school for three years or less.

    Transcripts can be sent to:
    Salem State University
    Undergraduate Admissions
    PO Box 315
    Randolph, MA 02368

  • Submit Proof of English Language Proficiency

    Proof of English proficiency may be met by one of the following:

    • The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); minimum scores: 500 (written) or 61 (Internet-based)
    • International English Language Testing System (IELTS) passing score of 5.5
    • Students from English speaking countries, whose first language is English, are exempt from the TOEFL and/or IELTS
    • If you completed high school/secondary school in English you may be exempt from the TOEFL and/or IELTS
    • If you have an SAT Critical Reading score of 450 or higher you will be exempt from the TOEFL and/or IELTS
    • If you have successfully completed (grade of B or better) in English Writing I or II course at an accredited college in the United States
Back to top