Welcome to Salem State! We hope that you’ll find a home here where you can succeed and graduate!
As a new transfer student, we recognize that you’re not a first year student any longer and as such we’ve designed a different program to welcome you to campus: The Next Step. You may already be college savvy, but this program will help you become Salem State savvy too, focusing on the most essential tasks to get you started.
Transfer Orientation Sessions
All new day transfers must attend a Next Step session before starting classes. Sessions are offered on June 15, August 8 and August 27. A full schedule will be provided closer to your session date. Students are able to choose the session they would like to attend by signing up via Navigator.
First Year Seminar
Transfer students entering with fewer than 15 credits will take a first year seminar as part of their spring academic course load. This three-credit required seminar offers students an opportunity to study an interesting and engaging topic with one of Salem State University’s outstanding faculty members. Transfer students will select their first year seminar session at their orientation session. Details regarding the various seminar options will be sent to students along with information on how to register for a particular seminar. If you have questions, contact the first year experience office at 978.542.2618 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Things to Bring
- Completed health and immunization forms for health services. If you are not able to locate the forms that were mailed to you, visit salemstate.edu/newstudents.
- A state or government issued photo ID to get your ClipperCard, the Salem State student ID.
- If you have not submitted your final official transcript with your fall 2017 grades, an official transcript in a sealed envelope with your final grades and/or degrees.
If you wish to apply for an on-campus job, visit the Student Employment page to learn more about the process.
Transfer Orientation Schedule Overview
- Business of Being a Student
- Financial Aid
- Transfer Student Essentials
Residence Hall Students
These items are required before you can move into the residence hall:
- Pay your balance in full or be on an approved payment plan and/or have sufficient financial aid to cover your balance (includes completing all aid related items on your to-do list on your navigator account).
- Submit a fully completed health form to counseling and health services. Forms will be posted this spring.
Readmits and Internal Transfers (evening to day)
Please contact the Center for Academic Advising at 978.542.5500.
Parking and Directions
Parking is available on Central Campus next to building 29 on the map in the Commuter Spaces marked with a ‘C’. Central Campus Classroom Building/Bertolon School of Business is building 15 on the map. Parking will also be available on Central Campus in the parking lot adjacent to Atlantic Hall, building 21 on the map, in the Atlantic student spaces marked with signs that read ‘A’. Find parking and directions. If using GPS, enter 71 Loring Avenue in Salem.