NOTE: due to the COVID-19 pandemic, orientation may be held online in 2020. We will post additional details as they become available.
The Center for International Education coordinates and implements orientation for all incoming international students. This program provides new foreign students with tools to assimilate into the U.S. environment.
First Year International Students Orientation
Thursday, August 29
Transfer International Students Orientation
Wednesday, August 28
International Orientation Information
This orientation is mandatory for all international students who will be taking credit classes. The following topics are discussed:
- Immigration: new regulations, working on- and off-campus, getting social security numbers and a driver’s license, and how to maintain your immigration status
- The U.S. educational system and the new general education curriculum at Salem State
- Cross-cultural communication and relationships: culture shock, American values, stereotypes, and intercultural communications
- Campus resources – you will meet representatives from many departments on campus, learn about the functions of these departments and learn how these departments can ease your transition to the university: health and health insurance information, safety/campus parking information, financial, tuition payment systems
- Email set-up, campus tours, ClipperCard (student ID)
- Staff will help you to open a bank account, and can also direct you where to go shopping for items you need upon arrival.
Residence Hall students
These items are required before you can move into the residence hall:
1. Pay your balance in full or be on an approved payment plan and/or have sufficient financial aid to cover your balance (includes completing all aid related items on your to-do list on your navigator account).
2. Submit a fully completed immunization form to Counseling and Health Services. Access the requirements and forms here. Make sure the documentation has been received by checking the student health portal.