Welcome to Salem State!
Congratulations on your acceptance to Salem State University! Orientation is your chance to learn about the university, ask questions, register for classes, get to know your fellow classmates, and begin your adventure as a viking!
New Student Checklist
- Register for Orientation. Sessions are offered in June, including sessions for parents and family. Log in to Navigator to register.
- Complete your writing self-placement. This exam helps you find the right writing course.
- Pack your bags! Visit our first-year, transfer and international orientation pages for schedules, parking information and more.
Hit the Books
We’re here to help you transition to the academic demands of college life.
- Read the First Year Reading Experience book – you’ll receive a free copy at orientation.
- Get laptop tips. Find out which laptop to purchase.
The Student Navigation Center is ready to help with all of your billing and financial aid concerns.
- Pay your deposit. Submit your $250 non-refundable enrollment deposit and your $300 non-refundable housing deposit (if you are living on campus) online at navigator.salemstate.edu. All day and transfer students must pay the enrollment deposit in order to register for orientation. View instructions on submitting a deposit online.
- Apply for financial aid. Submit your FAFSA at FAFSA.gov.
- Settle your bill: fall bills are due on August 8. Check your Navigator account for any outstanding to-do items.
- Commuters: purchase your parking decal. You’ll receive an e-mail in early August with instructions for ordering your decal online.
- Submit your immunization forms. Learn more about requirements for new students and access the immunization forms here. Make sure your documents have been received by checking the student health portal. A completed immunization form is required as part of our move-in policy.
- Enroll in student health insurance (or waive out if you’re already covered.) You can complete this task once you have received a bill.
Contact us with any questions or concerns: