Skip to main content

Writing Self-Placement


Writing Self Placement

All first year students are required to take a W-I writing course as part of the general education curriculum. To determine which writing class you will register for at orientation, you are required to take a Writing Self Placement test. 

Complete your Writing Self Placement

Exemptions from W-I and Writing Self-Placement

Some students may be exempt from the W-I course and the writing self-placement. Students who are exempt from the W-I writing course do not complete writing self-placement and may advance to their W-II writing course. Read the full exemption policy here.

Below is a list of exemptions:

  • Students with a high school GPA of 2.7 or higher (GPA listed on application)*
  • Students who scored a 4 or higher on the Advanced Placement (AP) exam for Language and Composition
  • Students with a 33 on the current SAT Writing and Language test or a 600 on the pre-2016 SAT writing test

* If your high school GPA was 2.7 or higher, you will have the option at orientation to choose ENL 110 or ENL 109; both courses satisfy the W-I requirement. You may prefer ENL 109 if you speak more than one language at home or school (this course is designed for multilingual writers). If you would like to speak to a faculty expert who could walk you through the differences between ENL 109 and ENL 110, please email

Honors Students

Students accepted and committed to the Commonwealth Honors Program do not need to complete writing self-placement. They are required to take either ENL 110H: Freshman Honors Writing (satisfies the W-I requirement) or ENL 225H: Advanced Writing in Honors (satisfies the W-II requirement). Most honors students will take ENL 110H, but those who have placed out of the W-I requirement must take ENL 225H.

International Students

International students are required to complete the writing self-placement during orientation.



Back to top