Gamma Theta Upsilon
Gamma Theta Upsilon (GTU) is an international honor society in geography. GTU activities support geography knowledge and awareness. Prospective members must have completed a minimum of three geography courses, have a B average in geography, must rank in the upper 35 percent of their class and shall have completed at least three semester or five quarters of college course work.
Membership is open to both undergraduate and graduate students. New GTU members at Salem State University are inducted during the annual geography day awards ceremony in the spring.
GTU's goals are:
- To further professional interest in geography by affording a common organization for those interested in the field
- To strengthen student and professional training through academic experiences in addition to those of the classroom and laboratory
- To advance the status of geography as a cultural and practical discipline for study and investigation
- To encourage student research of high quality and to promote an outlet for publication
- To create and administer funds for furthering graduate study and/or research in the field of geography
Dr. Marcos Luna
Salem State University
352 Lafayette Street
Salem, MA 01970
For more information about GTU and the benefits of membership (including scholarship opportunities), access the society's Web site at gtuhonors.org.