The College of Arts and Sciences at Salem State University offers liberal arts and professional undergraduate degree programs and, at the same time, fulfills the broader purposes of general liberal education.The college thus plays an important part in the intellectual, aesthetic, and personal growth of all students at the university, and it prepares them to be responsible members of a changing pluralistic society.
Through its attention both to the particular and to the more universal aspects of education, the College of Arts and Sciences prepares students to meet the complex, often unpredictable challenges of the future and to appreciate the satisfactions of a full life.
The mission of the College of Arts and Sciences is:
- to assist students in the development of their mental and physical abilities
- to stimulate students' ability to think critically and to communicate clearly
- to encourage an understanding of the connections between human beings and their physical environment
- to prepare students for responsible participation in the process of human interaction, from the personal to the global
- to provide for familiarity with methods of inquiry and means of expression in the arts and sciences
- to develop an understanding of the historical and cultural backgrounds of the arts and sciences
- to support other areas of the college in their efforts on behalf of students.
- to promote scholarly and creative activity among all members of the college community
- to foster free and informed explorations across disciplinary lines and among diverse groups
- to promote, throughout the college, a sense of community and mutual respect
- to provide an environment that encourages the personal flexibility conducive to emotional and intellectual growth
- to continue to explore, in the spirit of liberal education, new avenues of learning and to take advantage of unexpected opportunities as they occur.