Licensure Only Program in School Counseling
The only one of its kind in Massachusetts, the School Counseling – Licensure Only program is specifically designed for individuals who have a master's degree in counseling or psychology and are seeking a career in school counseling. This license allows candidates to expand opportunities for job growth and earning potential through employment in schools throughout the commonwealth of Massachusetts.
By completing the courses listed below, students admitted to the licensure only program will qualify for an initial licensure in school counseling, pre-K-8 or 5-12. Graduates of our program are prepared to work as guidance counselors and other school counseling professionals working with students, teachers, administrators, and the community.
- Meets Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) requirements for initial licensure in school counseling, pre-K-8 or 5-12
- Designed for the working student: fall and spring semester courses meet one night a week (Monday – Thursday), 4:30 –6:50 pm or 7 pm–9:20 pm
- 9:20 pm courses meet twice a week (Monday – Thursday), 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm
- Small class size: classes are capped at 20 students; seminars are capped at 10 students
- 75-hour pre-practicum and 500-hour practicum requirement in a public school setting
- Various networking opportunities through conferences and events with Salem State’s strong alumni community
Course requirements vary by transcript. Students admitted to the program will meet with the program coordinator to map out a tailored program of study that will include some or all of the following courses.
The practicum experience requires that the student is available for 500 hours of field work over two semesters, as well as a weekly class seminar. Candidates for initial licensure must take and pass all required sections of the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure prior to entering the practicum.