Choose the program option best for you
The MEd program leads to a master's degree. It is designed for either 1) individuals who already hold an initial license in Early Childhood Education who, with requisite experience as a teacher of record, wish to qualify and apply for a professional license from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, or 2) individuals with prior experience in the field (as either a teacher or administrator in a public school, a private school, a Head Start or child care or out-of-school-time program setting) who are seeking further professional development in the field.
Eligible students can apply for financial aid using the FAFSA form.
The Initial Licensure Only program does not lead to an academic degree. It is designed for individuals seeking an initial license and/or training in early childhood education, but not a degree.
While this program is not eligible for financial aid, the MEd programs are.
Graduate Application Process
Graduate programs in Early Childhood Education application process
- $50 non-refundable application fee
- Official transcript or transcript evaluation
- Three references
- English Proficiency, if applicable for international applicants
- Statement of purpose
- Early Childhood Education does not require the GRE or MAT
Additional requirements for those seeking initial licensure
- Passing scores on the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL) Communication and Literacy, both the reading and writing subtest
- Copy of educator license(s) that you may hold, if any
Prerequisites for those seeking initial licensure
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with either a) a major in the arts and sciences or an interdisciplinary arts/science major; or at least 24 credits above the introductory level in arts and science courses, with at least 12 credits in one academic area.
- The licensure only Early Childhood Education program requires a course in child growth and development (taken within the previous five years) or EDU 720
Applications accepted on a rolling basis and reviewed once complete