Choose the program option best for you
Candidates complete a master's degree while developing the qualifications necessary to meet the Commonwealth of Massachusetts' requirements for initial licensure as a school counselor.
School counselors facilitate career development from K-12; improve academic achievement alongside students, teachers, families, and communities; focus on emotional/social issues such as decreasing inappropriate behaviors; use data to make improvements; and more.
Candidates complete a master's degree while developing the qualifications necessary to meet the Commonwealth of Massachusetts' requirements for initial licensure as a school counselor and a school adjustment counselor.
School adjustment counselors lead intensive, one-on-one counseling sessions; work with issues such as trauma, addiction, severe psychopathology, homelessness, or learning disabilities; and more.
The License Only - School Counseling program is for those who have a master's degree in counseling or psychology and are seeking a career and initial licensure as a school counselor. The program is individually tailored, so the number of credits is variable.
The License Only - School Adjustment Counseling program has very specific requirements:
1. You much have received your MEd in School Counseling.
2. Your MEd in School Counseling must have been from Salem State.
3. If your degree was earned before 2015, you may have to complete additional coursework in consultation with the program coordinator
Graduate Application Process
School Counseling Graduate Application Process
- $50 non-refundable application fee
- Official transcript or transcript evaluation.
- The License Only - School Counseling program requires a transcript showing a master's degree in counseling or psychology from an accredited institution.
- The License Only - School Adjustment Counseling program requires an MEd in School Counseling from Salem State.
- Three references
- Statement of purpose
- English Proficiency, if applicable for international applicants
- Passing scores on the Communication and Literacy MTEL, both the reading and writing subtest
- If you have an educator license, submit a copy
- Graduate programs in School Counseling do not require the GRE/MAT
- Prerequisites are required for both the MEd and License Only programs. Review the School of Graduate Studies catalog for a complete listing of prerequisites for both programs.
- Applications accepted on a rolling basis and reviewed once complete.