Graduate Application Process
Graduate Programs in Reading Application Process
- $50 non-refundable application fee (FREE until October 31, 2019)
- Official transcript or transcript evaluation. The Licensure Only Reading program requires a transcript documenting an appropriate master's degree, as evaluated by the reading program coordinator and School of Graduate Studies dean.
- Three references
- Statement of purpose
- Copy of an initial or professional Massachusetts teaching license in a classroom teaching field
- Passing scores on the Communication and Literacy portion of the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL)
- English Proficiency, if applicable for international applicants
- Graduate programs in reading do not require the GRE or MAT.
Completion of EDU 739: Literacy Instruction and Assessment in the Early Childhood and Elementary Classroom or an equivalent course.
Additional Licensure Requirements
The Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education requires teachers seeking the initial specialist teacher of reading license to have at least an initial teaching license and at least one year of experience under that license. Students must supply verification of at least one year of teaching experience in the role and grade level of their initial license upon application to the practicum (EDU 840P).
Applications accepted on a rolling basis and reviewed once complete.