Certificate in Public Relations
The public relations certificate program introduces the role, processes, and practices of public relations. The certificate will explore the overall role and techniques of public relations in general and then consider specific cases and such issues as demographics and psychographics. Students will study the profession and actual cases, take basic and advanced writing courses, and learn to develop publicity.
Program Requirements (18 Credits Total Required*)
- COM201 Introduction to Communications 3
- COM202 Writing for Media 3
- COM349 Principles of Public Relations 3
Choose Three of the Following:
- COM300 Communication Research 3
- COM335 Writing for Corporations 3
- COM351 Public Relations Writing 3
- COM370 Fundamentals of News Writing 3
- COM450 Advanced Public Rrelations Writing 3
- COM455 Public Relations Case Studies 3
- COM466 Crisis Communication in Public Relations 3
The Certificate of Competency in Public Relations will be awarded to students satisfactorily completing six(6) courses as indicated above. The individual must maintain a grade-point average of 3.0 as a minimum for courses taken at Salem State University.
* A total of 9 credits may be transferred from other accredited institutions.
For program and registration information contact:
Connie Nielson, Academic Advisor