Alpha Phi Sigma
Alpha Phi Sigma
National recognition for academic excellence in criminal justice, professional networking and access to grants, awards and scholarships are just a few reasons to join Alpha Phi Sigma. Alpha Phi Sigma is well represented in the professional ranks of all areas of the criminal justice field. The membership directories of the national professional associations, such as the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences (ACJS), The American Society of Criminology (ASC), the American Correctional Association (ACA) are studded with the names of Alpha Phi Sigma members, both active and alumni. Furthermore, the contacts made through Alpha Phi Sigma will be valuable throughout the member’s educational and professional careers.
Criminal Justice Academy
The Criminal Justice (CJ) Academy is a club made up of students at the university who are interested in the field of Criminal Justice and in the study of related legal, social and political issues. The purpose of the CJ Academy is to provide additional opportunities outside the classroom for students to learn more about the field of criminal justice and apply what they have learned in the classroom. Activities include guest speakers, career days, tours of criminal justice facilities (i.e. jails), conferences, films, and open houses. Additionally, the club is also plan “just for fun” social events (i.e. laser tag, Dave & Buster’s, etc.) and participates in meaningful community service such as volunteering at the On Point Teen Resource Center in Salem, the Walk for HAWC (Healing Abuse, Working for Change) and soup kitchens in the area as well as assisting with White Ribbon Day.
Benefits of Joining the CJ Academy
- Real-world opportunities in the field of criminal justice, such tours of local jails, shooting ranges, guest lectures from individuals who work in the field
- Opportunities to learn more about the many careers in Criminal Justice
- Professional networking opportunities at the annual career fair in April and through various other activities that involve Criminal Justice professionals
- Opportunities to meet new people and socialize with your fellow classmates
- Members can add this experience to their resume