Why Study Italian?
Do you want to order pasta in an Italian restaurant without mispronouncing the menu items? Understand an Italian soccer match? Speak with your Italian relatives in their native tongue? Watch a Fellini flick without subtitles? Read Dante in the original language? Whatever your motivation, whether you choose to take a few classes or to complete a minor in Italian, the Italian language program at Salem State University will help you to develop proficiency in speaking, reading and writing Italian. However, the ability to communicate in Italian is not the only valuable aspect of Italian studies! The Italian program at Salem State also includes the study of Italian culture and literature, in which you will develop:
- sharp critical thinking ability
- oral and written analytical skills
- a comparative perspective on global affairs
- cross-cultural awareness and the ability to work with diverse groups of people
- a broad multidisciplinary knowledge base (including literature, history, art, politics, economics, and many more disciplines which intersect with Italian culture)