Apply: Graduate Programs in Reading | Salem State University Skip to main content

Apply: Graduate Programs in Reading

Choose the program option best for you

Choose the program option best for you

  • M.Ed. Reading

    This program leads to a master's degree. It is designed for experienced educators who hold an initial classroom teaching license and who want to serve as a teacher of reading or remain a classroom teacher with expertise in reading. Graduates of this program may be endorsed by Salem State for state licensure as a teacher of reading.

    Eligible candidates can apply for financial aid using the FAFSA.

  • Licensure Only Reading

    This program does not lead to an academic degree. It is designed to meet the regulations for initial licensure as a specialist teacher of reading.

    This program is not eligible for financial aid, but the M.Ed. Reading program is.

Berry Library

Graduate Application Process


Graduate Programs in Reading Application Process

Required Materials

  • $50 non-refundable application fee  
  • Official transcript or transcript evaluation. The Licensure Only Reading program requires a transcript documenting an appropriate master's degree, as evaluated by the reading program coordinator and School of Graduate Studies dean.
  • Three references
  • Statement of purpose
  • Copy of an initial or professional Massachusetts teaching license in a classroom teaching field
  • Passing scores on the Communication and Literacy portion of the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL)
  • TOEFL or IELTS scoes, if applicable
  • Graduate programs in reading do not require the GRE or MAT.


Completion of EDU 739: Literacy Instruction and Assessment in the Early Childhood and Elementary Classroom or an equivalent course.

Additional Licensure Requirements

The Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education requires teachers seeking the initial specialist teacher of reading license to have at least an initial teaching license and at least one year of experience under that license. Students must supply verification of at least one year of teaching experience in the role and grade level of their initial license upon application to the practicum (EDU 840P). 


Applications accepted on a rolling basis and reviewed once complete.


Back to top