Graduate Application Process
MS Direct Entry Occupational Therapy Graduate Application Process
- $50 non-refundable application fee
- Official transcript or transcript evaluation.
- Requires a bachelor's degree with a major other than occupational therapy from an accredited college or university with a 3.0 GPA.
- If you attended multiple institutions, submit all transcripts, so your prerequisites can be evaluated properly.
- Official transcript of any graduate courses taken or degrees held.
- Two references. Select either professional or academic references (family and friends are not appropriate sources of references).
- Statement of purpose, two to three pages double-spaced, that addresses each of the following questions:
- What factors in your personal and professional history have influenced you in the past and now lead you to seek admission to the Direct Entry OT program at Salem State?
- What is your understanding of the role of occupational therapy in the current climate of debate regarding health care or public education in the United States?
- Is there any other information you think would help the admissions committee evaluate your application?
- TOEFL or IELTS scores, if applicable
- Volunteer/observation form
- Prerequisite tracking form
Application Deadline and Timeline
February 1, 2018 for fall 2018 enrollment. Please note the following admissions timeline and activities:
- February 1, 2018 – All application materials listed above must be received by Salem State by this date in order for your application to be reviewed for fall admission. Please plan accordingly; for example, it takes several weeks for transcripts to be processed, references to be submitted, etc.
- Please note the following:
- Only completed applications can be reviewed. The date that your application is completed and forwarded for review will be posted in your navigator account. All applications will be reviewed shortly after the application deadline. Once an admissions decision is made, that decision will be posted in your navigator account as well.
- The OT graduate admissions committee considers all pieces of your application.
- The most qualified candidates who meet the admissions criteria will be accepted.
- Fall (September 2018) – Classes begin.
More information about...
More information about...
Applicants are required to volunteer with or observe an occupational therapist(s) for a minimum of 20 hours and have the therapist(s) complete an observation verification form. Salem State does not place applicants in volunteer positions or observations.
Instructions on how to submit the form are included on the form.
There are 30 credits of prerequisite courses that must be completed with a final grade of C or better. Prerequisites do not have to be completed by the February 1 application deadline, but must be completed before the start of classes in September.
It is the applicant's responsibility to track completion of prerequisites.
If the course has been completed, use the third column and type in Y (yes), the school, the term/date the course was taken. If the course has not been completed, use the third column and type in N (no), the school, and term/date you plan to take the course.
If you are not sure that a completed course meets prerequisite requirements, email the program coordinator all course details (course title, credits, description, etc.) and the OT department will determine if a course you have taken or plan to take meets the prerequisite requirement.