Skip to main content

Foreign Language Requirement

Any of the languages offered by the department may be used to complete the university-wide foreign language requirement for most Bachelor of Arts students. The language requirement entails passing a 4th semester (202-level) language course, or any higher level language course. If you have no prior study of a language, this means taking 12 credits, or four courses (101, 102, 201, 202) in one language. If you have studied a language in high school or if you speak the language due to life experience, you should begin at a higher level, and you may only need to take 3 or 6 credits in the language to complete your requirement.

Spanish Placement Test

Students wishing to study Spanish can take the free online Spanish Placement Test to find out which level is right for them. Students who have previous experience should follow the department's placement guidelines or consult a faculty member in the department of Foreign Languages. Note that this placement test is only a personal tool to guide students to decide in what class they should enroll. This placement test cannot be used for the purpose of being exempted from the language requirement. If you would like to be exempted from taking Spanish or other language courses, you should take the CLEP or other nationally recognized test which is acceptable to the department of world languages and cultures.

Additional Options

In addition to passing a 202 or higher level language course, there are other ways students may satisfy the foreign language requirement, including transferring a 202 or higher level language course from another college or university or study abroad program, testing out of the language requirement (with tests such as the AP test, SAT subject tests, CLEP test), or completion of a high school diploma in a foreign country where the language of instruction was not English (this applies to most international students). For more on these options, consult the university catalog or the chairperson of the department.

Foreign Language Substitution

In special circumstances, if a student has severe difficulty in learning a foreign language, a student may petition for a foreign language substitution, which is a two-semester culture course taught in English, to satisfy the language requirement. This is a serious and lengthy process and should not be undertaken unless the student can prove a severe difficulty in language learning. The process for this petition is outlined in the university catalog.

Back to top