Salem State is closely monitoring the coronavirus outbreak. Learn more about our response.
Apply: MA/MAT English Dual Degree
Graduate Application Process
MA/MAT English Dual Degree Graduate Application Process
- $50 non-refundable application fee
- Official transcript or transcript evaluation
- Three references. At least two must be from persons able to speak to your academic qualifications and performance. At least one must speak to your potential scholarship in English.
- English Proficiency, if applicable for international applicants
- Statement of purpose (500- to 1,000-words, double-spaced) addressing the following:
- Your interest in teaching English as the secondary level (grades 8-12)
- Your interest in studying English at the graduate level (ie, how you see yourself as a scholar of English)
- MA/MAT English Dual Degree does not require the GRE or MAT.
Additional Materials, Requirements and Prerequisites
- A passing score on the Massachusetts Tests for Education Licensure (MTEL) communication and literacy portion and content test for English.
- For applicants pursuing literary studies, analytical writing sample between 6-12 pages required; for applicants pursuing writing, a creative writing sample between 6-12 pages required.
- Course in adolescent psychology (undergraduate or graduate)
- Course of foundations of secondary education (undergraduate or graduate)
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.0
Applications accepted on a rolling basis and reviewed once complete.