Skip to main content

If accepted, you will receive your I-20 form from Salem State University. You then need to apply for the F-1 student visa from your local U.S. embassy/consulate. Follow the instructions below for applying for the F-1 visa. 

Step 1: Read, verify and sign your I-20 form.

  • Make sure that your name and date of birth are the same as they appear on your passport.
  • If the information does not match, contact us and we will issue a new I-20 form.
  • If the information is correct, sign and date your form before your visa interview. 

Step 2: Pay the SEVIS Fee and print out SEVIS Form I-901 receipt

Step 3: Attend your visa interview with the following documents:

  1. Signed I-20 Form
  2. Salem State University acceptance letter
  3. Financial documents (bank statements and other documents that prove you have the estimated funds listed on line 8 of your I-20)
  4. SEVIS Form I-901 receipt 
  5. Documents demonstrating your intent to return home

Tips for the Visa interview

  1. Speak for yourself: No one else can participate in the interview.
  2. Know the Salem State program and how it fits your career plans: Know what your degree and major is going to be. Explain what made you decide to go to Salem State and how your studies at Salem State will help you with your future career plans when you return home.
  3. Be positive, concise and organized: Have a friendly attitude towards the consular officer at all times. As the interview will only be 2-4 minutes answer questions thoughtfully and in an adequate timeframe. Keep your documents organized.
  4. Show plans to return home: Family ties (documents proving family relationships and their residences), financial ties (property ownership, financial investments) and employment ties (letter proving that you will resume your work or have a job offer after your time in the U.S.)
  5. Prove that you don’t intend to work in the US Your main purpose of coming to the US is to study and NOT to work before or after graduation. You will need to show financial documents proving that you can support yourself throughout your stay in the US and therefore should not need to seek employment at any time. 
Back to top