What items to bring-and not bring-to campus?
Items that are allowed:
- Mattress pad
- Shower caddy and flip-flops
- Sheets (extra long)
- Desk/study lamp (non-halogen)
- A room telephone (students have free local phone service and free voicemail from their room phones, and can receive calls on the room number
- Surge protector/power strip
- Items made of SOFT plastic (drawers, laundry basket, waste basket, etc.) which has a slight give
- Iron or Coffeemaker with automatic shut-off
- Refrigerator (no more than 4 cubic feet OR a micro fridge)
- Aquarium tank (maximum 10 gallons) and fish
- Laptop insulator
**Per facilities, students in Bowditch Hall, Peabody Hall or Marsh Hall who wish to have a microwave in their room (non-microfridge) must obtain an "amperage overload switch".
Items that are not allowed:
- Candles of any kind, including decorative
- Hot plates
- Televisions larger than 40"
- Multi-prong non-circuit breaker plug extenders
- Air conditioners
- Water coolers
- Halogen Lamps/lights with halogen bulbs
- Octopus lights (multiple light bulbs) with plastic shades
- Space heaters
- Toasters/toaster ovens in Peabody/Bowditch/Marsh (only allowed in apartments)
- Microwaves (no more than 700 watts and 10 amps)**
- Extension cords
- Extra furniture (no futons, couches, bean bag or inflatable chairs, lofts, bookshelves, etc.)
- Shelves, concrete blocks and bricks, trunk
- Items made of HARD plastic (milk crates, furniture, drawer units, bookshelves, etc.) that does not have a slight give to it (i.e. flexes slightly)
- Air conditioners
- Pets (only fish are allowed in the residence halls)
- Live Christmas trees, menorahs with candles, Kwanzaa candles, and similar decorations that could be fire hazards (students should speak with their resident director to find appropriate spaces to celebrate their traditions)
Policies to be aware of:
- Speakers for stereos should be of a reasonable size, and subwoofers and amplifiers are strongly discouraged. If a resident does use these items, s/he may be asked to lower the volume if it disturbs other residents or the noise level is inappropriate.
- Tapestries and similar hangings are not allowed to cover a door, the majority of a wall above a bed, or hanging from the ceiling as this could present a fire/safety hazard.
- The university is not responsible for any damage or theft of your personal belongings, for any reason. Be sure you protect your valuables with your family's homeowners insurance or by purchasing renter's insurance. The university provides information and recommends a theft and fire insurance company.
Did you know that the beds at Salem State University are twin extra-long and not standard twin size? Residence Life would like to introduce you to Residence Hall Lines - a convenient source for ordering all of your campus living needs. We have partnered with Residence Hall Linens to provide our students and families with a convenient, affordable way to ensure you have sheets that will fit the extra-long mattress in our residence halls. The residence hall linen program has all your campus living needs, from extra long twin sheets and comforters to matching towels and storage items.
Shipping is free for all Value Pak orders, and there are more than 40 color combinations available. Plus, linens are delivered to your home during the summer so you don't have to worry about waiting in line at the store. Order now for the best selections - popular colors can sell out quickly! Please visit the RHL website at rhl.org/ssc.
For years, Salem State University has been offering the care package program to every student. We know the perfect time to send each package through the semester, just when your student really needs a boost. Help us reach our goal of making sure every student gets a care package this year. We have a great selection of options that will send your message and make your student smile. Despite the miles, you can help remind then just how much you care. Please go to ocm.com/ssc/carepackages to see our current offers!
Interested in renting or purchasing a refrigerator, freezer or microwave? How about all three? Just click on microfridge.